Re: First time Aging

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2011
      Use American White Oak only. Red is too porous for barrel making and
      white is what every Bourbon maker uses.

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JoeK" <joeklaus313@...> wrote:

      > Want to age bourbon. Red or White oak?

    • Steve Lange
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
        What about Black Oak? Very prevalant in my region.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2011
          Steve,

          There is nothing wrong with experimenting with woods for flavoring (just
          stay away from poisonous ones like poison oak lol ). Distillers have
          tried many different wooks like cherry, apple, peach etc...

          I just ment that if you want true Bourbon flavor and color, then white
          American oak is what everyone uses for Bourbon.

          JB. aka Waldo.