First time Aging

  • JoeK
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2011
      Want to age bourbon. Red or White oak?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2011
        Use American White Oak only. Red is too porous for barrel making and
        white is what every Bourbon maker uses.

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JoeK" <joeklaus313@...> wrote:

        > Want to age bourbon. Red or White oak?

      • Steve Lange
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2011
          What about Black Oak? Very prevalant in my region.
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2011
            Steve,

            There is nothing wrong with experimenting with woods for flavoring (just
            stay away from poisonous ones like poison oak lol ). Distillers have
            tried many different wooks like cherry, apple, peach etc...

            I just ment that if you want true Bourbon flavor and color, then white
            American oak is what everyone uses for Bourbon.

            JB. aka Waldo.