FIRST RUN

  • hdrk801
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 12:24 PM
      I've recently completed my first run distilling 25L of 14% sugar wash.
      I'm using a an AUSTENITIC Design still. I've collected about 3.5L of initially 90% alcohol. I collected between 78C and 90C. Toward the end of the run the last 1.5 L became a little milky which I believe is a result of the "tails". I was able to filter this through activated characoal and it removed the milkiness and is now clear but I can see clear "swirls" through the liquid. The taste and smell do not seem to be objectionable at least to me.

      So. Is this portion of the run usable for spirits or should I discard or put it in my next batch to redistill?

      Thanks for help
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1 2:22 PM
        I wouldn't discard at all.
        However, I have a couple of questions. For a sugar wash you are
        aiming for that output between 78-82C. Above that you are into tails
        and given that you must be refluxing rather than potstilling, the
        flavors in the tails will not be of interest.
        My question is: Did you make cuts. To be on the safeside the first
        150-300cc should be thrown away to avoid getting any methyl spirits
        in your product. Then collect. As it approaches 82C you may wish to
        collect in smaller amounts. That way if you suddenly notice
        cloudy/bad tasting stuff, you can toss it or keep for future runs.
        At 12:24 PM 3/1/2011, you wrote:

        >I've recently completed my first run distilling 25L of 14% sugar wash.
        >I'm using a an AUSTENITIC Design still. I've collected about 3.5L of
        >initially 90% alcohol. I collected between 78C and 90C. Toward the
        >end of the run the last 1.5 L became a little milky

        Derek
      • hdrk801
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1 3:17 PM
          I did discard the first 250ml but then continued to distill up to 90 degrees. I think I misunderstood the section of Home DIstilling under Distilling heading and "When to Finish." It says to stop when the temp gets to 90-92 degrees. I collected roughly in thirds and it was the last third that was milky. I guess I should not have bothered filtering it through carbon and should have just saved in to redistill in the next batch.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

          > I wouldn't discard at all.
          > However, I have a couple of questions. For a sugar wash you are
          > aiming for that output between 78-82C. Above that you are into tails
          > and given that you must be refluxing rather than potstilling, the
          > flavors in the tails will not be of interest.
          > My question is: Did you make cuts. To be on the safeside the first
          > 150-300cc should be thrown away to avoid getting any methyl spirits
          > in your product. Then collect. As it approaches 82C you may wish to
          > collect in smaller amounts. That way if you suddenly notice
          > cloudy/bad tasting stuff, you can toss it or keep for future runs.
          > At 12:24 PM 3/1/2011, you wrote:
          > >

          > >I've recently completed my first run distilling 25L of 14% sugar wash.
          > >I'm using a an AUSTENITIC Design still. I've collected about 3.5L of
          > >initially 90% alcohol. I collected between 78C and 90C. Toward the
          > >end of the run the last 1.5 L became a little milky
          >
          > Derek

        • Tampagamer
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1 4:26 PM

            Do not throw away your cuts and tails as they can be saved and when you have enough run them thru the distiller again and make the normal cuts on that run which you can then throw away but you get a 90 percent return from those heads and tails

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1 5:10 PM

              Hello Hdrk and Welcome to this fine hobby,

              What your missing is understanding the cuts in a distillation and what to keep and what to throw or away or reprocess.  A distillation is composed of 4 parts:

              First - the foreshots (first few hundred ml. or 1%) which contain acetone and methanol and is thrown away).  This you did sucessfully.

              Secondly, you have the heads (about 15% to 20%). These contain the highest amount of ethanol, but also contain congeners which are flavors. Now depending on what your making you either add some of these to your product or save them to redistill in the next batch.  If your making neutral vodka, then most distillers would try and keep any flavors out and put the heads in the redistilling jug.  If your making brown flavored product like whiskey, then most distillers would add more of these.

              Thirdly, you have the hearts or middle run (about 60% to 70%) which is the good stuff - keep this!!!

              Fourthly, you have the tails (about 15% to 20%).  These also contain fusel oils and sometimes will turn cloudy.  Again, these are treated just like the heads, put in the reprocessing jug if making neutral or some is added if making flavored.

              Making these cuts is where all the experience and practice comes to play.  You will get the hang of it eventually.

              Note: Depending on yeast strain and ingredients of fermentaion, these percentages may differ.  To get a full understanding of this and the various chemicals found in a distillation, please read Tony's section on distilling at: http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm

              Again welcome aboard, best of luck and feel free to ask any questions.

              JB. aka Waldo.