Re: [new_distillers] my spirit smells like metho

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 26 , May 27, 2002
      Hello,
      I will add my 2-bits worth. This will not help your metho-problem, but it adds to
      our understanding of still operation - I refer to the alcoholometer. This is the
      floating device that when suspended in a volumetric cylinder shows the ethanol
      content in the liquid dripping out of the condenser. When I first began distilling
      I used the temp. in the top/head of the column as my indicator, but then bought an
      alcohol-meter and now use its readings as indicator how the distillation is
      proceeding. (However, I do record the temp. at the same time as I rcord the %abv
      in the cylinder.)
      In practice, I collect all the distillate in the cylinder (100mL volumetric).
      Because of the space that the float takes up I in fact collect around 80-85mL when
      it is running around 90-95%abv. As soon as I can read the %abv I note it, also the
      temp., and time - dump the collected mL's into a glass, and quickly replace the
      cylinder under the condenser.

      Another point: with my reflux still (home-built) I allow the temp to vary on its
      own. With a sugar-wash or when redistilling feints the column settles down around
      79-79.5oC, and stays there, producing 95%abv product. As the %abv begins to drop,
      the temp will begin to rise on its own. In a future posting I will include a
      couple of graphs from my notebook, showing this relationship. Whatever - the
      important point is that the column temp stops around 78-79oC and there one obtains
      most of the ethanol.
      John V

      ├┐WPC5