Re: [new_distillers] WOOD CHEMICALS

  • Jerry McCullough
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2011
      The oak at Lowes and Home depot is red oak. I cannot definitively say if it has any chemicals in it.  I strongly doubt it. No reason to chemically treat it.

      The fruit press that I built has a red oak frame and anything that comes in contact with the fluids I made of white oak. I got the wood from a local saw mill that rough cuts logs fresh from the forests and dries the rough planks in a kiln. I do wood working as ar hobby so I have the equipment to take rough cut planks and turned it into finished lumber.

      If you do not have a local saw mill and/or the tools to process rough lumber then using red oak from Home Depot or Lowes is OK. Though expensive.

      The frame for the press can be made from dimensional lumber (fir or pine). For the parts that come in contact with the fluids, I feel that white oak is the best. Red oak can be used. Cherry is fine but it is more difficult to work with then either white or red oak.

      If you use white oak, save the scraps to char for aging product.

      I hope this helps.