RE: [new_distillers] Internal heating sorce

  • Rebel
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011

      Water heating elements work great!

      From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:new_distillers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of JD
      Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:25 PM
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Internal heating sorce

      that would be an much better idea though :)) water heater element.

      but washing machines do have heating elements .

      dont know about chemical regulations with these elements so stay away from them unless someone else knows better then i do ;)

      you said it !!! :P Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

      From: jeandenis308@...
      Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:14:36 +0100

      not shure but they look to me like washing machine heating elements .

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
        [new_distillers] Internal heating sorce

        Im using water heater elements and a Phase Angle Control module to control the element heat. This seems to be a popular method.

        What are people using for their internal heating sorces and were can i find it? I'm using a full keg for my boiler.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            new_distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
            new_distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        No virus found in this message.

      • JD
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
          electric water heater elements. ok sound much better :))

          i have an electric canning kettle wich uses 1800 watts max , and used a prefabricated dimmer/speed regulator that can handle up to 2500 watts.
          it needed a little cooling wing when uses full power. ( maybe you can find it at conrad-international ) uhm. Product ID: 191343
          it wont be good to hook up 2 elements on it but for 1 just to run it as low as possible. ore two to get that ultimate sweet spot boiling point. i can get myn to the point where it just barely boils.

          but again “water heater elements” would think washing machine elements would have to be chemical resistent though ;)

          uhm

          heat controler posts.

          Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 12:11 AM
          Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Internal heating sorce

          I think that I have some information that may be helpful. Beer Home-brewers do an electric conversion of old beer kegs to make what is called an electric "Keggle". This is what I am doing also. Here is a good link to use as a reference.
          http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/brew_kettle.htm
          This is why I posted about the Triac circuits I have seen on this site to control heating elements. The fellow at this link uses a solid state relay for power control, I think the Triac idea is cheaper and better.
          The elements they use are standard water heater elements.

          -SNIP-

        • xpensv65
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
            I am getting ready to run first batch with 1500 watt water heater element. I am worried about threads I have read about burning the wash. Has anyone had good luck with this? I have one wired direct and one with a 1500 watt dimmer. Should I forget the direct wired one and just start slowly with the controlled element on a reduced power setting. Thanks

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2011
              burning occures with sollids (ie grain particals fruit) aslong as those arrent in the wash and its has settled good not much to worry about.

              I am getting ready to run first batch with 1500 watt water heater element. I am worried about threads I have read about burning the wash. Has anyone had good luck with this? I have one wired direct and one with a 1500 watt dimmer. Should I forget the direct wired one and just start slowly with the controlled element on a reduced power setting. Thanks

              > Water heating elements work
              great!

              > _____

              href="mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com]

              href="http://www.ecvv.com/product/1293896.html">http://www.ecvv.com/product/1293896.html>

              Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:10 PM

              From: jeandenis308@...
              > Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:14:36 +0100

              > not shure but they look to me like washing machine heating elements
              .

              my boiler.

              > _____
              >
              > No
              virus found in this message.

            • Bruce Rott
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 5, 2011
                i use a 1500w single burner hot plate on wide open with a 8gal stainless steel still with a sugar wash. never had a problem. i  wrap the tub with a towel to speed the heat process. then remove towel when still gets up to temp.

                burning occures with sollids (ie grain particals fruit) aslong as those arrent in the wash and its has settled good not much to worry about.

                I am getting ready to run first batch with 1500 watt water heater element. I am worried about threads I have read about burning the wash. Has anyone had good luck with this? I have one wired direct and one with a 1500 watt dimmer. Should I forget the direct wired one and just start slowly with the controlled element on a reduced power setting. Thanks

                > Water heating elements work great!
                >

                > _____

                target=_blank ymailto="mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com