Re: High Flavor Still (Maybe?)

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
      JD,

      Your english is fine! Thanks for the link and for your comments.

      Tom

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

      > sorry for my english whas typing way to fast.
      >
      > even ardbeg his stills have an upward angled lyne arm.
      >
      > http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2286371960092903133yzTwDj
      >

      > SNIP
    • JD
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
        apologies to the mods , will snip next time on :(

        tom your welcome.

        i think your still is perfect for high flavor.

        i just added the comment for the scrubber sinds its easier to cut of 5 inch from a pipe then to add 5 inches.
      • clearweather714
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
          I too after seeing Bob's still picture put together a high flavor setup. I ran a 2" 90 degree elbow off the top of the boiler with a eccentric 2x1 reducer followed by a 1" 90 then reduced down to a 3/8" x 1' condenser. Stripping a wine (Riesling) I was impressed by the flavor. The still started out at 62%. Most of the flavor was concentrated in the 30%-20% range.

          I then did a spirit run at a bit lower temp. It stripped more of the flavor out and left a rough harshness to the distillate. I was not impressed. My sense is that it needed a bit more reflux to find the better balance on the spirit run. A little higher column or the scrubbers might work better. I think I will add another 10" column extension with a bit of copper packing and try another spirit run.

          Any comments or feedback will be appreciated.
        • JD
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
            the scrubber will then remove more flavor.

            “correct me if im wrong”

            by double distilling it, you remove more flavor . by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.

            i would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.

            brandy also needs some oaking if im right here.

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
              It will remove more flavors. The trick I think is trying to remove the wrong flavors and keep the right ones. The science vs the art.I am wondering that because there was not a lot of copper surface (mostly stainless) that some of the residual sulpher compounds are creating the harshness. Therefore the copper scrubber.

              Even after diluting the distillate the harsh flavor is still there. It is not there when I run with a longer packed column (40"). That is where the fun is, trying to figure it out.

              I am working on both clear and brown brandy.

              Thanks for your comment

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

              > the scrubber will then remove more flavor.
              >
              > “correct me if im wrong”
              >
              > by double distilling it, you remove more flavor . by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.
              >
              > i would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.
              >
              > brandy also needs some oaking if im right here.

            • Adam Fordham
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011

                I hear allot about harshness but does anyone know what the harshness is? I know ethanol at a higher percentage is harsh itself. I've read that ageing smooths ( removes) some of the harshness which makes me think something is oxidizing. Or maybe leaving something in is the trick. I'm searching for the holy Grail......higher proof yet mellow on the palate.;)

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                  that’s the beauty of this hobby you build it and then perfect the art.
                  luckly we get a lot of help from many masters like say JB .

                  it could also be ( my toughts working ) you ran it to slow , so leving the flavors behind ;)

                  if you want more flavor , ( might help for tom aswell ) use setback ( sourmash idea ) and fresh grains .

                  not shure if setback helps for wine . it has the flavors and you add more by adding the grains. also has left over alcohol ;)

                  greetz.

                  Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:13 PM

                  --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                  > the scrubber will then
                  remove more flavor.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                    hmm.

                    the diffrence between grain and sugar ??

                    have made an all barley to 80% wich tastes really nice, smelles like alcohol but not very strong.
                    take a sip and it burns but doesnt taste.

                    sugar wash on the order hand is my definition on harsh.

                    if you started with all grain you should really try a sugar wash and triple destill it and try that, compare that to the grain product you will shurely notice the difrence. i find the sugar based a bit sharper to taste and thin in mouth feel. its not really describable.

                    its really something you need to experience, then it comes to mind like OOhhh thats what they mend .
                    Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:22 PM
                    Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: High Flavor Still (Maybe?)

                    I hear allot about harshness but does anyone know what the harshness is? I know ethanol at a higher percentage is harsh itself. I've read that ageing smooths ( removes) some of the harshness which makes me think something is oxidizing. Or maybe leaving something in is the trick. I'm searching for the holy Grail......higher proof yet mellow on the palate.;)

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                    It will remove more flavors. The trick I think is trying to remove the wrong flavors and keep the right ones. The science vs the art.I am wondering that because there was not a lot of copper surface (mostly stainless) that some of the residual sulpher compounds are creating the harshness. Therefore the copper scrubber.

                    Even after diluting the distillate the harsh flavor is still there. It is not there when I run with a longer packed column (40"). That is where the fun is, trying to figure it out.

                    I am working on both clear and brown brandy.

                    Thanks for your comment

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                    > the scrubber will
                    then remove more flavor.

                    > “correct me if im
                    wrong”

                    > by double distilling it, you remove more flavor .
                    by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.

                    would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.

                    > brandy also needs some oaking if im right
                    here.

                  • novaflux00
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 14, 2011
                      Tom, I was wondering if you could tell me how you made your Lyne arm? Then your procedure for making your quick connections? I have done some copper work before. Your design is beautiful.

                      Thank you,
                      Nova
                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 14, 2011
                        Nova,

                        The Lyne arm was made from a section of sheet copper. I cut a triangle about 7" wide at one end and 2 1/2" wide at the other end, with a length of 36" (the dimensions are approximate - I don't have my sketch in-hand). Just dimension according to the amount of seam lap you want plus the circumference of the resulting diameter you require at each end. Both ends were then trimmed perpendicular to the long axis of the piece. I divided each end into twelve equal-width devisions. I drew a lines down the length and connected the twelve corresponding points. I used the lines as a guide and clamped a piece of oak board along one line at a time, starting at one edge and started to bend the cone using a small piece of oak board and a hammer. When I got to the last line (along the opposite edge form the starting edge), I continued to bend by hand until the cone was completed. I lapped the edges of the cone to form a joint along the entire length. I held the cone at several places along its length with screw clamps (like the type used for a radiator hose) and then soldered the seam. I took a piece of rigid 3/8" pipe, put one end in a vice, slipped the cone over the pipe, supported the off-board end of the pipe on a stiff-leg and proceeded to tap the cone into more uniform shape; again using the small piece of oak board an hammer. It was not an easy task but I am pleased with the outcome.

                        All of the connections are made from copper. The tapered rims (flanges) are made from hammered copper wire. I hammered the wire to a tapered cross section, formed the tapered wire around a piece of rigid pipe and finally fitted it to the copper pipe. I placed the ring on the outside of the copper pipe, held it in place with an adjustable screw-clamp (like the clamp described above) and then I soldered the ring in place. The reason the rings don't look "hammered" is because they were trued up quite a bit as I am fortunate to have a 10" metal lathe. After soldering, I removed the clamp and turned (machined) the whole section on my lathe.

                        If you look closely, you will notice that at both the Keg Head connection and at the Lyne Arm connection there is a short section of copper that is of a smaller outside diameter than that of the main pipe. I made that piece by rolling a short section of sheet copper into a cylinder, soldered it together down its length and slipped it into the pipe and soldered it into place AFTER replacing the screw-clamp over the machined copper ring. While soldering the rolled piece into the mating copper pipe, I held the rolled piece together with a second screw-clamp. The short, small diameter piece will, at the keg connection, slip into the Sankey Keg fitting for proper alignment and gasket placement and at the Lyne Arm connection it will slip into the Lyne arm for proper alignment and gasket placement at that joint; plus, it allows the joint to stay in alignment as it swivels.

                        I hope my explanation was clear enough. If I need to provide more details, please let me know.

                        Tom