Re: High Flavor Still (Maybe?)

  • JD
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
      your very much welcome.
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
        Tom and JD,

        It looks like all of us are headed in the same direction. My potstills
        have included an unpacked riser for years, and while the spirit was
        always clean and smooth, it was lighter in flavor than what I wished
        for. It's my hope that tis new design will give me stronger flavor, even
        if I should have to distill more times (maybe like Irish).

        As soon as my new copper reducing cone comes in from China, I'll buidd
        the new head and get some results, which you can bet I'll share.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

        > Looks like my plans.
        >
        > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne arm.
        >
        > will give you lots of flavor.
        >
        > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor it'll
        give.
        > if it give to much flavor you might want to put a scrubber just below
        the knee were it goes to the condensor.

        > hope to hear some results from it.
        >
        > greets
        >
        > have a lot of fun with it.

      • JD
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
          looking forward to it.

          now sinds our planning to move elsewere my still is boxed up. i also want to make a worm cooler wich helps me with the water bill ;)

          im now trying to learn how i can make an yeast family from where i can take cups from to use in fermentation.

          Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:41 PM
          Subject: [new_distillers] Re: High Flavor Still (Maybe?)

          --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

          > Looks like my
          plans.

          > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne
          arm.

          > will give you lots of flavor.
          >
          > ive learn
          that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor it'll
          give.
          > if it
          give to much flavor you might want to put a scrubber just below
          the knee were it goes to the condensor.

          > hope to hear some results from
          it.

          > greets
          >
          > have a lot of fun with
          it.

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
            ZBob,

            I made my cone from a section of 18" x 36" sheet copper. I think it came out pretty good. At least I am satisfied with it.

            Form your note, it appears that you might suggest shortening the 8" riser that I have at prestnt. I will try it as-is and if the spirit is too light, I'll whack it off a bit. What length (height) would you suggest? I intend to try making heavily peat-smoked Scotch.

            Tom

            > Tom and JD,
            >
            > It looks like all of us are headed in the same direction. My potstills
            > have included an unpacked riser for years, and while the spirit was
            > always clean and smooth, it was lighter in flavor than what I wished
            > for. It's my hope that tis new design will give me stronger flavor, even
            > if I should have to distill more times (maybe like Irish).
            >
            > As soon as my new copper reducing cone comes in from China, I'll buidd
            > the new head and get some results, which you can bet I'll share.
            >
            > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Looks like my plans.
            > >
            > > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne arm.
            > >
            > > will give you lots of flavor.
            > >
            > > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor it'll
            > give.
            > > if it give to much flavor you might want to put a scrubber just below
            > the knee were it goes to the condensor.
            > >
            > > hope to hear some results from it.
            > >
            > > greets
            > >
            > > have a lot of fun with it.

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
              JD,

              A friend gave me a small aluminum radiator that was used to cool transmission fluid in an auto. I mounted it on a stand, set a small fan on a shelf to blow through the radiator and connected the inlet to the radiator to the outlet of a small submersible pump from a masonry saw. The pump is placed in my worm bucket and cooling the water is pumped through the radiator and back to the bucket. The results are great! I will post photos when I set up my abbum for my VM reflux unit.

              Tom

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

              > looking forward to it.
              >
              > now sinds our planning to move elsewere my still is boxed up. i also want to make a worm cooler wich helps me with the water bill ;)
              >
              > im now trying to learn how i can make an yeast family from where i can take cups from to use in fermentation.

            • JD
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                presuming you have an 8 inch high riser, thats short enough thats about 20cm any shorter wont do much more to the taste.

                ie, compared to a riser say 1 meter high (3 feet) it would only make some diference, but noticable lighter.
                so i think your barley needs more peat ;) the lyne arm has most of its effect. ( i had compression couplings, i whas able to try a lot of setups )
                sinds yours is al the way down , it should do just fine .  ore you like a really heavy peated whiskey like ardberg .

                I used to have a packed colum and still sugar, but im not the wodka drinker i rather have a nice irish whiskey.
                and my apple wines are not always what i want it to be ;) so a calvados will do just fine .

                for the radiator , i have a 200 liter bucket (52 us gallons) on a 27 liter pot (7gallons) i hope it will do.

                greets

                --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                > Tom and JD,
                >
                > It looks like all of us are headed in the same direction. My
                potstills
                > have included an unpacked riser for years, and while the
                spirit was
                > always clean and smooth, it was lighter in flavor than what I
                wished
                > for. It's my hope that tis new design will give me stronger
                flavor, even
                > if I should have to distill more times (maybe like
                Irish).

                > As soon as my new copper reducing cone comes in from
                China, I'll buidd
                > the new head and get some results, which you can bet
                I'll share.

                > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:

                > > Looks like my
                plans.

                > > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne
                arm.

                > > will give you lots of flavor.
                > >
                > > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor
                it'll
                > give.
                > > if it give to much flavor you might want to put
                a scrubber just below
                > the knee were it goes to the condensor.
                > >
                > > hope to hear some results from it.

                greets

                > > have a lot of fun with it.

              • JD
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                  sorry for my english whas typing way to fast.

                  even ardbeg his stills have an upward angled lyne arm.

                  I made my cone from a section of 18" x 36" sheet copper. I think it came out pretty good. At least I am satisfied with it.

                  Form your note, it appears that you might suggest shortening the 8" riser that I have at prestnt. I will try it as-is and if the spirit is too light, I'll whack it off a bit. What length (height) would you suggest? I intend to try making heavily peat-smoked Scotch.

                  Tom

                  --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                  > Tom and JD,
                  >
                  > It looks like all of us are headed in the same direction. My
                  potstills
                  > have included an unpacked riser for years, and while the
                  spirit was
                  > always clean and smooth, it was lighter in flavor than what I
                  wished
                  > for. It's my hope that tis new design will give me stronger
                  flavor, even
                  > if I should have to distill more times (maybe like
                  Irish).

                  > As soon as my new copper reducing cone comes in from
                  China, I'll buidd
                  > the new head and get some results, which you can bet
                  I'll share.

                  > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                  --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:

                  > > Looks like my
                  plans.

                  > > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne
                  arm.

                  > > will give you lots of flavor.
                  > >
                  > > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor
                  it'll
                  > give.
                  > > if it give to much flavor you might want to put
                  a scrubber just below
                  > the knee were it goes to the condensor.
                  > >
                  > > hope to hear some results from it.

                  greets

                  > > have a lot of fun with it.

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                    JD,

                    Your english is fine! Thanks for the link and for your comments.

                    Tom

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                    > sorry for my english whas typing way to fast.
                    >
                    > even ardbeg his stills have an upward angled lyne arm.
                    >
                    > http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2286371960092903133yzTwDj
                    >

                    > SNIP
                  • JD
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                      apologies to the mods , will snip next time on :(

                      tom your welcome.

                      i think your still is perfect for high flavor.

                      i just added the comment for the scrubber sinds its easier to cut of 5 inch from a pipe then to add 5 inches.
                    • clearweather714
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                        I too after seeing Bob's still picture put together a high flavor setup. I ran a 2" 90 degree elbow off the top of the boiler with a eccentric 2x1 reducer followed by a 1" 90 then reduced down to a 3/8" x 1' condenser. Stripping a wine (Riesling) I was impressed by the flavor. The still started out at 62%. Most of the flavor was concentrated in the 30%-20% range.

                        I then did a spirit run at a bit lower temp. It stripped more of the flavor out and left a rough harshness to the distillate. I was not impressed. My sense is that it needed a bit more reflux to find the better balance on the spirit run. A little higher column or the scrubbers might work better. I think I will add another 10" column extension with a bit of copper packing and try another spirit run.

                        Any comments or feedback will be appreciated.
                      • JD
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                          the scrubber will then remove more flavor.

                          “correct me if im wrong”

                          by double distilling it, you remove more flavor . by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.

                          i would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.

                          brandy also needs some oaking if im right here.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                            It will remove more flavors. The trick I think is trying to remove the wrong flavors and keep the right ones. The science vs the art.I am wondering that because there was not a lot of copper surface (mostly stainless) that some of the residual sulpher compounds are creating the harshness. Therefore the copper scrubber.

                            Even after diluting the distillate the harsh flavor is still there. It is not there when I run with a longer packed column (40"). That is where the fun is, trying to figure it out.

                            I am working on both clear and brown brandy.

                            Thanks for your comment

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                            > the scrubber will then remove more flavor.
                            >
                            > “correct me if im wrong”
                            >
                            > by double distilling it, you remove more flavor . by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.
                            >
                            > i would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.
                            >
                            > brandy also needs some oaking if im right here.

                          • Adam Fordham
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011

                              I hear allot about harshness but does anyone know what the harshness is? I know ethanol at a higher percentage is harsh itself. I've read that ageing smooths ( removes) some of the harshness which makes me think something is oxidizing. Or maybe leaving something in is the trick. I'm searching for the holy Grail......higher proof yet mellow on the palate.;)

                              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                that’s the beauty of this hobby you build it and then perfect the art.
                                luckly we get a lot of help from many masters like say JB .

                                it could also be ( my toughts working ) you ran it to slow , so leving the flavors behind ;)

                                if you want more flavor , ( might help for tom aswell ) use setback ( sourmash idea ) and fresh grains .

                                not shure if setback helps for wine . it has the flavors and you add more by adding the grains. also has left over alcohol ;)

                                greetz.

                                Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:13 PM

                                It will remove more flavors. The trick I think is trying to remove the wrong flavors and keep the right ones. The science vs the art.I am wondering that because there was not a lot of copper surface (mostly stainless) that some of the residual sulpher compounds are creating the harshness. Therefore the copper scrubber.

                                Even after diluting the distillate the harsh flavor is still there. It is not there when I run with a longer packed column (40"). That is where the fun is, trying to figure it out.

                                I am working on both clear and brown brandy.

                                Thanks for your comment

                                --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                                > the scrubber will then
                                remove more flavor.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                  hmm.

                                  the diffrence between grain and sugar ??

                                  have made an all barley to 80% wich tastes really nice, smelles like alcohol but not very strong.
                                  take a sip and it burns but doesnt taste.

                                  sugar wash on the order hand is my definition on harsh.

                                  if you started with all grain you should really try a sugar wash and triple destill it and try that, compare that to the grain product you will shurely notice the difrence. i find the sugar based a bit sharper to taste and thin in mouth feel. its not really describable.

                                  its really something you need to experience, then it comes to mind like OOhhh thats what they mend .
                                  Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:22 PM

                                  I hear allot about harshness but does anyone know what the harshness is? I know ethanol at a higher percentage is harsh itself. I've read that ageing smooths ( removes) some of the harshness which makes me think something is oxidizing. Or maybe leaving something in is the trick. I'm searching for the holy Grail......higher proof yet mellow on the palate.;)

                                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                  It will remove more flavors. The trick I think is trying to remove the wrong flavors and keep the right ones. The science vs the art.I am wondering that because there was not a lot of copper surface (mostly stainless) that some of the residual sulpher compounds are creating the harshness. Therefore the copper scrubber.

                                  Even after diluting the distillate the harsh flavor is still there. It is not there when I run with a longer packed column (40"). That is where the fun is, trying to figure it out.

                                  I am working on both clear and brown brandy.

                                  Thanks for your comment

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                                  > the scrubber will
                                  then remove more flavor.

                                  > “correct me if im
                                  wrong”

                                  > by double distilling it, you remove more flavor .
                                  by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.

                                  would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.

                                  > brandy also needs some oaking if im right
                                  here.

                                • novaflux00
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 14 10:14 AM
                                    Tom, I was wondering if you could tell me how you made your Lyne arm? Then your procedure for making your quick connections? I have done some copper work before. Your design is beautiful.

                                    Thank you,
                                    Nova
                                  • Tom
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 14 12:02 PM
                                      Nova,

                                      The Lyne arm was made from a section of sheet copper. I cut a triangle about 7" wide at one end and 2 1/2" wide at the other end, with a length of 36" (the dimensions are approximate - I don't have my sketch in-hand). Just dimension according to the amount of seam lap you want plus the circumference of the resulting diameter you require at each end. Both ends were then trimmed perpendicular to the long axis of the piece. I divided each end into twelve equal-width devisions. I drew a lines down the length and connected the twelve corresponding points. I used the lines as a guide and clamped a piece of oak board along one line at a time, starting at one edge and started to bend the cone using a small piece of oak board and a hammer. When I got to the last line (along the opposite edge form the starting edge), I continued to bend by hand until the cone was completed. I lapped the edges of the cone to form a joint along the entire length. I held the cone at several places along its length with screw clamps (like the type used for a radiator hose) and then soldered the seam. I took a piece of rigid 3/8" pipe, put one end in a vice, slipped the cone over the pipe, supported the off-board end of the pipe on a stiff-leg and proceeded to tap the cone into more uniform shape; again using the small piece of oak board an hammer. It was not an easy task but I am pleased with the outcome.

                                      All of the connections are made from copper. The tapered rims (flanges) are made from hammered copper wire. I hammered the wire to a tapered cross section, formed the tapered wire around a piece of rigid pipe and finally fitted it to the copper pipe. I placed the ring on the outside of the copper pipe, held it in place with an adjustable screw-clamp (like the clamp described above) and then I soldered the ring in place. The reason the rings don't look "hammered" is because they were trued up quite a bit as I am fortunate to have a 10" metal lathe. After soldering, I removed the clamp and turned (machined) the whole section on my lathe.

                                      If you look closely, you will notice that at both the Keg Head connection and at the Lyne Arm connection there is a short section of copper that is of a smaller outside diameter than that of the main pipe. I made that piece by rolling a short section of sheet copper into a cylinder, soldered it together down its length and slipped it into the pipe and soldered it into place AFTER replacing the screw-clamp over the machined copper ring. While soldering the rolled piece into the mating copper pipe, I held the rolled piece together with a second screw-clamp. The short, small diameter piece will, at the keg connection, slip into the Sankey Keg fitting for proper alignment and gasket placement and at the Lyne Arm connection it will slip into the Lyne arm for proper alignment and gasket placement at that joint; plus, it allows the joint to stay in alignment as it swivels.

                                      I hope my explanation was clear enough. If I need to provide more details, please let me know.

                                      Tom