Re: Clarity before boiling

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
      Pete,

      Although I can't say for sure, because I've never scorched or got bad-tasting spirit from a murky wash, I think it depends on your still's heat source. If you heat directly with a high-energy-density electric element, I'm told scorching happens easily in a cloudy wash, and tastes bad, too.

      I heat with propane and have never scorched a wash that was simply cloudy. I have scorched washes with lots of goopy solids in the them, and I kind of expected to scorch.

      Long story short, if yoyu run some electric elements full-bore, expext a cloudy wash to give bad-tasting spirit. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

      > A sucrose or dextrose wash becomes a whitish/light cream colour during fermentation. When that process has ceased, floculation occurs and the wash clears to some extent. I have left a wash for 6 days or more after the finish of fermentation but it has never cleared completely back to water clear.
      >
      > My question is, at what stage is the wash clear enough?

    • crsound
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
        Pete I have had the same concerns, and now use a clearing agent on every sugar batch to make sure.
        Just follow the instructions and wait the duration on those instructions and you will be fine. The one I use was like 3.00$ or 4.00$ for 4oz. and I get quite a few batches from that. So maybe .60 cents a batch ? It's worth it to me. I think now I have seen so many loads I could pick when its done with out this, but who wants to wait ?
        Over The Rail and Down The Hatch!

        > > My question is, at what stage is the wash clear enough?
      • brzdistiller
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
          Hey all,

          How long can i expect a 20L fruit mash to clear/decant for distillation?

          A pineapple and a peach mashes seem to be taking forever even though we are keeping them in the fridge and have strained them thru cheese cloth to remove solids. Fermentation finished and was first racked 2 weeks ago, but mashes are still cloudy.

          I can't really tell if the stuff in solution is micro bits of fruit (we blended the fruit) or if it´s yeast.

          I have no alum at hand right now, but have order some to see if I can speed things up a bit.

          Do you think we are safe to boil these?

          Thanks,

          TH

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brzdistiller" <brzdistiller@...> wrote:

            > Hey all,
            >
            > How long can i expect a 20L fruit mash to clear/decant for distillation?
            >
            > A pineapple and a peach mashes seem to be taking forever even though we are keeping them in the fridge and have strained them thru cheese cloth to remove solids. Fermentation finished and was first racked 2 weeks ago, but mashes are still cloudy.
            >
            > I can't really tell if the stuff in solution is micro bits of fruit (we blended the fruit) or if it´s yeast.
            >
            > I have no alum at hand right now, but have order some to see if I can speed things up a bit.
            >

            > Do you think we are safe to boil these?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > TH

            It's pulp. Better distill it before you get an infection in it.

          • bruich44
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10, 2011

              I've had great success in fruit fermentations with

              Super Kleer KC Finings

              It's an isinglass based liquid fining that will clear a 5 gal carboy to perfect in a few days for $2. Better than dry isinglass. All homebrew shops carry it, or should.
            • brzdistiller
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 10, 2011
                Cheers Harry! That´s all i needed to hear!

                TH

                > It's pulp. Better distill it before you get an infection in it.
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2011
                  In fruit wines you can get a pectin haze which is cleared with pectinase enzyme.
                  Normally if your mash is pure fruit (sugar content about 10%) you distill the whole mash. If you add water and sugar, it is more likely for the solids to settle out as for wine.
                  wal

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brzdistiller" <brzdistiller@...> wrote:

                  > Cheers Harry! That´s all i needed to hear!
                  >
                  > TH
                  >

                  > > It's pulp. Better distill it before you get an infection in it.
                  > >

                  > > Slainte!
                  > > regards Harry

                • brzdistiller
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 23, 2011
                    I´ve been experimenting with the Sparkolloid from Brewhaus to help clear my fruit mashes, but wanted some more advices.

                    After degassing, the sparkolloid is added and the solids usually settle in about 24 hours, but some of it forms a floating cap also. When racking some of the solids, usually get sucked in and we try to use a cheese cloth to separate them while racking.

                    This is quite time consuming and a LOT of mash gets wasted in the cap and bottom of bucket (about 35% at least).

                    What am I doing wrong? Why do I get the thick floating cap?

                    By the way, this is more evident in strawberry mashes with lots and lots of solids in.

                    Thank you.

                    TH