Re: High Flavor Still (Maybe?)

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011
      JD,

      Thanks. I think I just uploaded 13 photos. If possible I would like to know how to correct (modify) the title of the album. At present it is titled "Tom Hawk Pot", I intended the name to be "Tom Hawk, Pot Still Head". Is it possible to modify the title of an album?

      Thanks for your help.

      Tom

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

      > to send post photo's go to "Photos"
      > where on the right you can find "creat album"
      > make an album name and leave it for "group"
      >
      > there you can "select files"
      > wich opens a window where you can search for the files you want to post, normally its easy to putt the photo's from the camera on the desktop, ore a folder on it.
      >
      > good luck.
      >
      > JD

    • JD
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011
        yes its edit.

        if you go to your album you can see a check box , if you check them you can click "edit" then edit the name ;D

        they might need aproving ( not shure how it works in this group )

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

        > JD,
        >
        > Thanks. I think I just uploaded 13 photos. If possible I would like to know how to correct (modify) the title of the album. At present it is titled "Tom Hawk Pot", I intended the name to be "Tom Hawk, Pot Still Head". Is it possible to modify the title of an album?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Tom
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:
        > >
        > > to send post photo's go to "Photos"
        > > where on the right you can find "creat album"
        > > make an album name and leave it for "group"
        > >
        > > there you can "select files"
        > > wich opens a window where you can search for the files you want to post, normally its easy to putt the photo's from the camera on the desktop, ore a folder on it.
        > >
        > > good luck.
        > >
        > > JD

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011
          JD,

          Thanks! I got the name corrected. Now, I'm just waiting on approval. Once the pics are up, I would appreciate your comments.

          Thanks for your help,

          Tom

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

          > yes its edit.
          >
          > if you go to your album you can see a check box , if you check them you can click "edit" then edit the name ;D
          >
          > they might need aproving ( not shure how it works in this group )
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@> wrote:
          > >
          > > JD,
          > >
          > > Thanks. I think I just uploaded 13 photos. If possible I would like to know how to correct (modify) the title of the album. At present it is titled "Tom Hawk Pot", I intended the name to be "Tom Hawk, Pot Still Head". Is it possible to modify the title of an album?
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help.
          > >
          > > Tom
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > to send post photo's go to "Photos"
          > > > where on the right you can find "creat album"
          > > > make an album name and leave it for "group"
          > > >
          > > > there you can "select files"
          > > > wich opens a window where you can search for the files you want to post, normally its easy to putt the photo's from the camera on the desktop, ore a folder on it.
          > > >
          > > > good luck.
          > > >
          > > > JD

        • JD
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011
            will do.

            greets

            JD

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

            > JD,
            >
            > Thanks! I got the name corrected. Now, I'm just waiting on approval. Once the pics are up, I would appreciate your comments.
            >
            > Thanks for your help,
            >
            > Tom
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:
            > >
            > > yes its edit.
            > >
            > > if you go to your album you can see a check box , if you check them you can click "edit" then edit the name ;D
            > >
            > > they might need aproving ( not shure how it works in this group )
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > JD,
            > > >
            > > > Thanks. I think I just uploaded 13 photos. If possible I would like to know how to correct (modify) the title of the album. At present it is titled "Tom Hawk Pot", I intended the name to be "Tom Hawk, Pot Still Head". Is it possible to modify the title of an album?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for your help.
            > > >
            > > > Tom

          • JD
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011
              Looks like my plans.

              you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne arm.

              will give you lots of flavor.

              ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor it'll give.
              if it give to much flavor you might want to put a scrubber just below the knee were it goes to the condensor.

              hope to hear some results from it.

              greets

              have a lot of fun with it.
            • Tom
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2011
                JD,

                Thanks for your help and for your comments. I will keep in mind your comment about adding a section of scrubber below the knee if needed.

                I have been doing quite a bit of reading and studying. I'm slowly preparing myself to really get into the "art". I have a VM reflux unit that I finished several months ago. I now know a little about taking digital photos and about how to upload them to our photo section. When I next run the VM unit I will take some photos and will set up an album of photos of it.

                Thanks to you and all the others who have been most helpful.

                Regards,

                Tom

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                > Looks like my plans.
                >
                > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne arm.
                >
                > will give you lots of flavor.
                >
                > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor it'll give.
                > if it give to much flavor you might want to put a scrubber just below the knee were it goes to the condensor.
                >
                > hope to hear some results from it.
                >
                > greets
                >
                > have a lot of fun with it.

              • JD
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                  your very much welcome.
                • tgfoitwoods
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                    Tom and JD,

                    It looks like all of us are headed in the same direction. My potstills
                    have included an unpacked riser for years, and while the spirit was
                    always clean and smooth, it was lighter in flavor than what I wished
                    for. It's my hope that tis new design will give me stronger flavor, even
                    if I should have to distill more times (maybe like Irish).

                    As soon as my new copper reducing cone comes in from China, I'll buidd
                    the new head and get some results, which you can bet I'll share.

                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                    > Looks like my plans.
                    >
                    > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne arm.
                    >
                    > will give you lots of flavor.
                    >
                    > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor it'll
                    give.
                    > if it give to much flavor you might want to put a scrubber just below
                    the knee were it goes to the condensor.

                    > hope to hear some results from it.
                    >
                    > greets
                    >
                    > have a lot of fun with it.

                  • JD
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                      looking forward to it.

                      now sinds our planning to move elsewere my still is boxed up. i also want to make a worm cooler wich helps me with the water bill ;)

                      im now trying to learn how i can make an yeast family from where i can take cups from to use in fermentation.

                      Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:41 PM
                      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: High Flavor Still (Maybe?)

                      --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                      > Looks like my
                      plans.

                      > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne
                      arm.

                      > will give you lots of flavor.
                      >
                      > ive learn
                      that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor it'll
                      give.
                      > if it
                      give to much flavor you might want to put a scrubber just below
                      the knee were it goes to the condensor.

                      > hope to hear some results from
                      it.

                      > greets
                      >
                      > have a lot of fun with
                      it.

                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                        ZBob,

                        I made my cone from a section of 18" x 36" sheet copper. I think it came out pretty good. At least I am satisfied with it.

                        Form your note, it appears that you might suggest shortening the 8" riser that I have at prestnt. I will try it as-is and if the spirit is too light, I'll whack it off a bit. What length (height) would you suggest? I intend to try making heavily peat-smoked Scotch.

                        Tom

                        > Tom and JD,
                        >
                        > It looks like all of us are headed in the same direction. My potstills
                        > have included an unpacked riser for years, and while the spirit was
                        > always clean and smooth, it was lighter in flavor than what I wished
                        > for. It's my hope that tis new design will give me stronger flavor, even
                        > if I should have to distill more times (maybe like Irish).
                        >
                        > As soon as my new copper reducing cone comes in from China, I'll buidd
                        > the new head and get some results, which you can bet I'll share.
                        >
                        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Looks like my plans.
                        > >
                        > > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne arm.
                        > >
                        > > will give you lots of flavor.
                        > >
                        > > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor it'll
                        > give.
                        > > if it give to much flavor you might want to put a scrubber just below
                        > the knee were it goes to the condensor.
                        > >
                        > > hope to hear some results from it.
                        > >
                        > > greets
                        > >
                        > > have a lot of fun with it.

                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                          JD,

                          A friend gave me a small aluminum radiator that was used to cool transmission fluid in an auto. I mounted it on a stand, set a small fan on a shelf to blow through the radiator and connected the inlet to the radiator to the outlet of a small submersible pump from a masonry saw. The pump is placed in my worm bucket and cooling the water is pumped through the radiator and back to the bucket. The results are great! I will post photos when I set up my abbum for my VM reflux unit.

                          Tom

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                          > looking forward to it.
                          >
                          > now sinds our planning to move elsewere my still is boxed up. i also want to make a worm cooler wich helps me with the water bill ;)
                          >
                          > im now trying to learn how i can make an yeast family from where i can take cups from to use in fermentation.

                        • JD
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                            presuming you have an 8 inch high riser, thats short enough thats about 20cm any shorter wont do much more to the taste.

                            ie, compared to a riser say 1 meter high (3 feet) it would only make some diference, but noticable lighter.
                            so i think your barley needs more peat ;) the lyne arm has most of its effect. ( i had compression couplings, i whas able to try a lot of setups )
                            sinds yours is al the way down , it should do just fine .  ore you like a really heavy peated whiskey like ardberg .

                            I used to have a packed colum and still sugar, but im not the wodka drinker i rather have a nice irish whiskey.
                            and my apple wines are not always what i want it to be ;) so a calvados will do just fine .

                            for the radiator , i have a 200 liter bucket (52 us gallons) on a 27 liter pot (7gallons) i hope it will do.

                            greets

                            --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                            > Tom and JD,
                            >
                            > It looks like all of us are headed in the same direction. My
                            potstills
                            > have included an unpacked riser for years, and while the
                            spirit was
                            > always clean and smooth, it was lighter in flavor than what I
                            wished
                            > for. It's my hope that tis new design will give me stronger
                            flavor, even
                            > if I should have to distill more times (maybe like
                            Irish).

                            > As soon as my new copper reducing cone comes in from
                            China, I'll buidd
                            > the new head and get some results, which you can bet
                            I'll share.

                            > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                            --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:

                            > > Looks like my
                            plans.

                            > > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne
                            arm.

                            > > will give you lots of flavor.
                            > >
                            > > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor
                            it'll
                            > give.
                            > > if it give to much flavor you might want to put
                            a scrubber just below
                            > the knee were it goes to the condensor.
                            > >
                            > > hope to hear some results from it.

                            greets

                            > > have a lot of fun with it.

                          • JD
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                              sorry for my english whas typing way to fast.

                              even ardbeg his stills have an upward angled lyne arm.

                              I made my cone from a section of 18" x 36" sheet copper. I think it came out pretty good. At least I am satisfied with it.

                              Form your note, it appears that you might suggest shortening the 8" riser that I have at prestnt. I will try it as-is and if the spirit is too light, I'll whack it off a bit. What length (height) would you suggest? I intend to try making heavily peat-smoked Scotch.

                              Tom

                              --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                              > Tom and JD,
                              >
                              > It looks like all of us are headed in the same direction. My
                              potstills
                              > have included an unpacked riser for years, and while the
                              spirit was
                              > always clean and smooth, it was lighter in flavor than what I
                              wished
                              > for. It's my hope that tis new design will give me stronger
                              flavor, even
                              > if I should have to distill more times (maybe like
                              Irish).

                              > As soon as my new copper reducing cone comes in from
                              China, I'll buidd
                              > the new head and get some results, which you can bet
                              I'll share.

                              > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                              --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@> wrote:

                              > > Looks like my
                              plans.

                              > > you have a nice short raiser and a steep lyne
                              arm.

                              > > will give you lots of flavor.
                              > >
                              > > ive learn that the shorter the raising pipe the more flavor
                              it'll
                              > give.
                              > > if it give to much flavor you might want to put
                              a scrubber just below
                              > the knee were it goes to the condensor.
                              > >
                              > > hope to hear some results from it.

                              greets

                              > > have a lot of fun with it.

                            • Tom
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                JD,

                                Your english is fine! Thanks for the link and for your comments.

                                Tom

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                                > sorry for my english whas typing way to fast.
                                >
                                > even ardbeg his stills have an upward angled lyne arm.
                                >
                                > http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2286371960092903133yzTwDj
                                >

                                > SNIP
                              • JD
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                  apologies to the mods , will snip next time on :(

                                  tom your welcome.

                                  i think your still is perfect for high flavor.

                                  i just added the comment for the scrubber sinds its easier to cut of 5 inch from a pipe then to add 5 inches.
                                • clearweather714
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                    I too after seeing Bob's still picture put together a high flavor setup. I ran a 2" 90 degree elbow off the top of the boiler with a eccentric 2x1 reducer followed by a 1" 90 then reduced down to a 3/8" x 1' condenser. Stripping a wine (Riesling) I was impressed by the flavor. The still started out at 62%. Most of the flavor was concentrated in the 30%-20% range.

                                    I then did a spirit run at a bit lower temp. It stripped more of the flavor out and left a rough harshness to the distillate. I was not impressed. My sense is that it needed a bit more reflux to find the better balance on the spirit run. A little higher column or the scrubbers might work better. I think I will add another 10" column extension with a bit of copper packing and try another spirit run.

                                    Any comments or feedback will be appreciated.
                                  • JD
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                      the scrubber will then remove more flavor.

                                      “correct me if im wrong”

                                      by double distilling it, you remove more flavor . by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.

                                      i would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.

                                      brandy also needs some oaking if im right here.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                        It will remove more flavors. The trick I think is trying to remove the wrong flavors and keep the right ones. The science vs the art.I am wondering that because there was not a lot of copper surface (mostly stainless) that some of the residual sulpher compounds are creating the harshness. Therefore the copper scrubber.

                                        Even after diluting the distillate the harsh flavor is still there. It is not there when I run with a longer packed column (40"). That is where the fun is, trying to figure it out.

                                        I am working on both clear and brown brandy.

                                        Thanks for your comment

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                                        > the scrubber will then remove more flavor.
                                        >
                                        > “correct me if im wrong”
                                        >
                                        > by double distilling it, you remove more flavor . by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.
                                        >
                                        > i would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.
                                        >
                                        > brandy also needs some oaking if im right here.

                                      • Adam Fordham
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011

                                          I hear allot about harshness but does anyone know what the harshness is? I know ethanol at a higher percentage is harsh itself. I've read that ageing smooths ( removes) some of the harshness which makes me think something is oxidizing. Or maybe leaving something in is the trick. I'm searching for the holy Grail......higher proof yet mellow on the palate.;)

                                          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                            that’s the beauty of this hobby you build it and then perfect the art.
                                            luckly we get a lot of help from many masters like say JB .

                                            it could also be ( my toughts working ) you ran it to slow , so leving the flavors behind ;)

                                            if you want more flavor , ( might help for tom aswell ) use setback ( sourmash idea ) and fresh grains .

                                            not shure if setback helps for wine . it has the flavors and you add more by adding the grains. also has left over alcohol ;)

                                            greetz.

                                            Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:13 PM

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 2, 2011
                                              hmm.

                                              the diffrence between grain and sugar ??

                                              have made an all barley to 80% wich tastes really nice, smelles like alcohol but not very strong.
                                              take a sip and it burns but doesnt taste.

                                              sugar wash on the order hand is my definition on harsh.

                                              if you started with all grain you should really try a sugar wash and triple destill it and try that, compare that to the grain product you will shurely notice the difrence. i find the sugar based a bit sharper to taste and thin in mouth feel. its not really describable.

                                              its really something you need to experience, then it comes to mind like OOhhh thats what they mend .
                                              Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:22 PM

                                              I hear allot about harshness but does anyone know what the harshness is? I know ethanol at a higher percentage is harsh itself. I've read that ageing smooths ( removes) some of the harshness which makes me think something is oxidizing. Or maybe leaving something in is the trick. I'm searching for the holy Grail......higher proof yet mellow on the palate.;)

                                              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                              It will remove more flavors. The trick I think is trying to remove the wrong flavors and keep the right ones. The science vs the art.I am wondering that because there was not a lot of copper surface (mostly stainless) that some of the residual sulpher compounds are creating the harshness. Therefore the copper scrubber.

                                              Even after diluting the distillate the harsh flavor is still there. It is not there when I run with a longer packed column (40"). That is where the fun is, trying to figure it out.

                                              I am working on both clear and brown brandy.

                                              Thanks for your comment

                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

                                              > the scrubber will
                                              then remove more flavor.

                                              > “correct me if im
                                              wrong”

                                              > by double distilling it, you remove more flavor .
                                              by adding more length ore scrubber you do the same.

                                              would try and dilute half a shotglass of the product to 35-40% and try some first.

                                              > brandy also needs some oaking if im right
                                              here.

                                            • novaflux00
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 14 10:14 AM
                                                Tom, I was wondering if you could tell me how you made your Lyne arm? Then your procedure for making your quick connections? I have done some copper work before. Your design is beautiful.

                                                Thank you,
                                                Nova
                                              • Tom
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 14 12:02 PM
                                                  Nova,

                                                  The Lyne arm was made from a section of sheet copper. I cut a triangle about 7" wide at one end and 2 1/2" wide at the other end, with a length of 36" (the dimensions are approximate - I don't have my sketch in-hand). Just dimension according to the amount of seam lap you want plus the circumference of the resulting diameter you require at each end. Both ends were then trimmed perpendicular to the long axis of the piece. I divided each end into twelve equal-width devisions. I drew a lines down the length and connected the twelve corresponding points. I used the lines as a guide and clamped a piece of oak board along one line at a time, starting at one edge and started to bend the cone using a small piece of oak board and a hammer. When I got to the last line (along the opposite edge form the starting edge), I continued to bend by hand until the cone was completed. I lapped the edges of the cone to form a joint along the entire length. I held the cone at several places along its length with screw clamps (like the type used for a radiator hose) and then soldered the seam. I took a piece of rigid 3/8" pipe, put one end in a vice, slipped the cone over the pipe, supported the off-board end of the pipe on a stiff-leg and proceeded to tap the cone into more uniform shape; again using the small piece of oak board an hammer. It was not an easy task but I am pleased with the outcome.

                                                  All of the connections are made from copper. The tapered rims (flanges) are made from hammered copper wire. I hammered the wire to a tapered cross section, formed the tapered wire around a piece of rigid pipe and finally fitted it to the copper pipe. I placed the ring on the outside of the copper pipe, held it in place with an adjustable screw-clamp (like the clamp described above) and then I soldered the ring in place. The reason the rings don't look "hammered" is because they were trued up quite a bit as I am fortunate to have a 10" metal lathe. After soldering, I removed the clamp and turned (machined) the whole section on my lathe.

                                                  If you look closely, you will notice that at both the Keg Head connection and at the Lyne Arm connection there is a short section of copper that is of a smaller outside diameter than that of the main pipe. I made that piece by rolling a short section of sheet copper into a cylinder, soldered it together down its length and slipped it into the pipe and soldered it into place AFTER replacing the screw-clamp over the machined copper ring. While soldering the rolled piece into the mating copper pipe, I held the rolled piece together with a second screw-clamp. The short, small diameter piece will, at the keg connection, slip into the Sankey Keg fitting for proper alignment and gasket placement and at the Lyne Arm connection it will slip into the Lyne arm for proper alignment and gasket placement at that joint; plus, it allows the joint to stay in alignment as it swivels.

                                                  I hope my explanation was clear enough. If I need to provide more details, please let me know.

                                                  Tom