Hello from Brazil + still choice quetion

  • brzdistiller
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011

      Hey there!

      This is my first post to this group and i´m quite happy with what i´ve been reading here so far.

      I live in the state of Minas Gerais in Brazil and small scale distillation (cachaça) is almost common in farms around these parts.

      Although I have never fermented and distilled my first batch I plan on changing this pretty soon.

      At work, in a bartending and bar consulting agency here, we have a steady supply of left over fruits, juices and purees made from fresh fruit. We try to compost some of it, but fermenting and distilling them sound s lot moreinteresting, doesn´t it?

      This is where the whole idea of home distilling was born for us (our whole team is pretty excited about it too). It´s a way to reduce our waste and learn more about the production of the ingredients we use.

      Our goal isto produce quality exotic eaux de vie and sometime in the future rum, gin and the good ol´cachaça.

      We are now trying to decide what still to buy.

      HERE COMESTHE QUESTION:

      At first we thought about a cachaça alambique. Then we changed our mind to a reflux still (PDA-1) because of the versatility and possibilities of also using it on pot stillmode.

      After reading more of the recommended sources here and homedistiller.org, we wen tback to the cachaça alambique available in our area, since we want to focus on eaux de vie.

      This is a short video of the still we want to buy (sexy stuff!):

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbDYb9kIKM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

      It´s a 10 Lalambique de cachaça made by these guys: http://www.alambiquessantaefigenia.com.br/

      The cost of this model is around U$ 450,00 and they also have a 15L  (U$ 660) and a 25L (U$1100) available, besides the large scale ones.

      I might visit the factory next week to check them out.

      We want to start small to help with the learning and their design allows the boiler to be upgrader later.

      What would you recommend? Are we really on the right direction here?

      Thank you very much for all the great info so far and for any recommendations. Glad to be here!

      PS: sorry for the long first post. We´re pretty excited around here.

      Cheers,

      TH

    • adir.mizrahi
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
        Hi TH

        i also looking after my first cachaca pot still now.

        did you check this web site ?
        what do you think ? it look like the prices are better ?

        thanks
        adir

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brzdistiller" <brzdistiller@...> wrote:

        > Hey there!
        >

        > This is my first post to this group and i´m quite happy with what
        > i´ve been reading here so far.
        >

        > I live in the state of Minas Gerais in Brazil and small scale
        > distillation (cachaça) is almost common in farms around these parts.
        >
        > Although I have never fermented and distilled my first batch I plan on
        > changing this pretty soon.
        >
        > At work, in a bartending and bar consulting agency here, we have a
        > steady supply of left over fruits, juices and purees made from fresh
        > fruit. We try to compost some of it, but fermenting and distilling them
        > sound s lot moreinteresting, doesn´t it?
        >
        > This is where the whole idea of home distilling was born for us (our
        > whole team is pretty excited about it too). It´s a way to reduce our
        > waste and learn more about the production of the ingredients we use.
        >

        > Our goal isto produce quality exotic eaux de vie and sometime in the
        > future rum, gin and the good ol´cachaça.
        >

        > We are now trying to decide what still to buy.
        >

        > HERE COMESTHE QUESTION:
        >

        > At first we thought about a cachaça alambique. Then we changed our
        > mind to a reflux still (PDA-1) because of the versatility and
        > possibilities of also using it on pot stillmode.
        >
        > After reading more of the recommended sources here and
        > homedistiller.org, we wen tback to the cachaça alambique available in
        > our area, since we want to focus on eaux de vie.
        >
        > This is a short video of the still we want to buy (sexy stuff!):
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbDYb9kIKM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
        > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbDYb9kIKM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL\
        > >

        > It´s a 10 Lalambique de cachaça made by these guys:
        > http://www.alambiquessantaefigenia.com.br/
        > <http://www.alambiquessantaefigenia.com.br/>
        >

        > The cost of this model is around U$ 450,00 and they also have a 15L (U$
        > 660) and a 25L (U$1100) available, besides the large scale ones.
        >
        > I might visit the factory next week to check them out.
        >
        > We want to start small to help with the learning and their design allows
        > the boiler to be upgrader later.
        >

        > What would you recommend? Are we really on the right direction here?
        >

        > Thank you very much for all the great info so far and for any
        > recommendations. Glad to be here!
        >

        > PS: sorry for the long first post. We´re pretty excited around here.
        >

        > Cheers,
        >

        > TH

      • adir.mizrahi
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
          i forgot to put the website
          http://www.copper-alembic.com/shop/index.php

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adir.mizrahi" <adir.mizrahi@...> wrote:

          > Hi TH
          >
          > i also looking after my first cachaca pot still now.
          >
          > did you check this web site ?
          > what do you think ? it look like the prices are better ?
          >
          > thanks
          > adir
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brzdistiller" <brzdistiller@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hey there!
          > >

          > > This is my first post to this group and i´m quite happy with what
          > > i´ve been reading here so far.
          > >

          > > I live in the state of Minas Gerais in Brazil and small scale
          > > distillation (cachaça) is almost common in farms around these parts.
          > >
          > > Although I have never fermented and distilled my first batch I plan on
          > > changing this pretty soon.
          > >
          > > At work, in a bartending and bar consulting agency here, we have a
          > > steady supply of left over fruits, juices and purees made from fresh
          > > fruit. We try to compost some of it, but fermenting and distilling them
          > > sound s lot moreinteresting, doesn´t it?
          > >
          > > This is where the whole idea of home distilling was born for us (our
          > > whole team is pretty excited about it too). It´s a way to reduce our
          > > waste and learn more about the production of the ingredients we use.
          > >

          > > Our goal isto produce quality exotic eaux de vie and sometime in the
          > > future rum, gin and the good ol´cachaça.
          > >

          > > We are now trying to decide what still to buy.
          > >

          > > HERE COMESTHE QUESTION:
          > >

          > > At first we thought about a cachaça alambique. Then we changed our
          > > mind to a reflux still (PDA-1) because of the versatility and
          > > possibilities of also using it on pot stillmode.
          > >
          > > After reading more of the recommended sources here and
          > > homedistiller.org, we wen tback to the cachaça alambique available in
          > > our area, since we want to focus on eaux de vie.
          > >
          > > This is a short video of the still we want to buy (sexy stuff!):
          > >
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbDYb9kIKM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
          > > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbDYb9kIKM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL\
          > > >

          > > It´s a 10 Lalambique de cachaça made by these guys:
          > > http://www.alambiquessantaefigenia.com.br/
          > > <http://www.alambiquessantaefigenia.com.br/>
          > >

          > > The cost of this model is around U$ 450,00 and they also have a 15L (U$
          > > 660) and a 25L (U$1100) available, besides the large scale ones.
          > >
          > > I might visit the factory next week to check them out.
          > >
          > > We want to start small to help with the learning and their design allows
          > > the boiler to be upgrader later.
          > >

          > > What would you recommend? Are we really on the right direction here?
          > >

          > > Thank you very much for all the great info so far and for any
          > > recommendations. Glad to be here!
          > >

          > > PS: sorry for the long first post. We´re pretty excited around here.
          > >

          > > Cheers,
          > >

          > > TH

        • JD
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
            i find it ammusing that they refer back to tony's website

            http://www.copper-alembic.com/products_byclass.php?cat_id=11&lang=en

          • Alex Castillo
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
              Hi Brazil-Distiller (BD) and Adir. Consider the following items:

              1. Distillers and parts:http://tinyurl.com/5r4js7m

              2. Fermenters and parts: http://tinyurl.com/6fafudn

              3. If bottle oaking: http://tinyurl.com/5wmw55b

              4. If Barrel oaking: http://tinyurl.com/6kd8ygg

              5. Fancy distiller´s yeast: http://tinyurl.com/2vhq2fx

              HTH

              Alex
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 21, 2011
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "brzdistiller" <brzdistiller@...> wrote:

                > Hey there!
                >
                > This is a short video of the still we want to buy (sexy stuff!):
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbDYb9kIKM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

                Hi Brz,

                Welcome aboard. That's a great video of the way it's done in your country. I let the video run, and I watched the whole 10 clips.

                The rest of you guys who are into copper porn should take a good look.

                Group owner
              • brzdistiller
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 26, 2011
                  Hey Guys,

                  Swear i posted an answer on this topic last week but i can't seem to find it. Weird. I guess it´ll take a bit to get used to how the group works.

                  I have tried to reply using the website a few time, but it doesn't seem to be working for me so i´m starting a new topic just to reply.

                  That still on the video is a 10 liter model and probably the one I'll buy.
                  What do you say? Is it really a good choice for eau de vie making?

                  @ Adir:
                  That´s a pretty cool website and they have a lot of stills. The prices are pretty good too. In my case, it´ll be cheaper to buy at Alambique Santa Efigenia (the link on the video). The shipping and possible taxes will cost me a lot if imported from copper-alambic.com
                  I have some great resources about cachaça making, but they are all in Portuguese. I´ll do my best to share them here as I start making cachaça.

                  @ Alex: Thanks for all the link! I´ll make sure to consider them.
                  @ Harry: glad you like the videos.
                  Thank for all the replies.
                  Cheer,
                  TH
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 26, 2011
                    Hey Brazil,

                    Sorry, you were still on moderated status, though I thought had taked
                    you off. That pot still seems to be good high quality, and if your
                    going to be making brandies and flavored stuff, then a pot still is
                    definitely the way to go.

                    However, I think you will find out very quickly that a 10 liter boiler
                    is going to be on the small side. I started out with a 2 gallon boiler
                    and came to this relization very fast as did many other distillers.
                    Keep in mind that when your distilling, the ratio of fermentation to
                    finished product can be anywheres from 8 to a 10 to 1 ratio. Ie. 8
                    gallons of fermented juice will give you about a gallon of finished
                    product after distilling and making your cuts. Most recipies we use
                    around here call for a 20 to 25 liter fermentation to start off with.

                    Frankly, i would recommend not starting off with anything less then a 20
                    liter boiler for making your eaux de vie. Some distillers that are
                    into making grain whiskey which usually only ferments to around 7 to 8%,
                    think that even this is too small as well - ask ZB.

                    If it does not increase the cost too much, I would definitly consider
                    this.

                    HTH.

                    JB. aka Waldo.

                    wrote:

                    > Hey Guys,
                    >
                    > Swear i posted an answer on this topic last week but i can't seem to
                    find it. Weird. I guess it´ll take a bit to get used to how the group
                    works.

                    > I have tried to reply using the website a few time, but it doesn't
                    seem to be working for me so i´m starting a new topic just to reply.

                    > That still on the video is a 10 liter model and probably the one I'll
                    buy.
                    > What do you say? Is it really a good choice for eau de vie making?
                    >
                    > @ Adir:
                    > That´s a pretty cool website and they have a lot of stills. The
                    prices are pretty good too. In my case, it´ll be cheaper to buy at
                    Alambique Santa Efigenia (the link on the video). The shipping and
                    possible taxes will cost me a lot if imported from copper-alambic.com
                    > I have some great resources about cachaça making, but they are all
                    in Portuguese. I´ll do my best to share them here as I start making
                    cachaça.

                    > @ Alex: Thanks for all the link! I´ll make sure to consider them.
                    > @ Harry: glad you like the videos.
                    > Thank for all the replies.
                    > Cheer,
                    > TH

                  • brzdistiller
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 31, 2011
                      Hey all,

                      I just came back from a visit to that still factory, and am very excited to say that I now own my first copper pot still!

                      @waldo: Thanks for the reply and congrats on the new co-ownership of this group!

                      I did have that in mind. I know 10 L isn't much, but the fittings allow me to upgrade easily and the people at the factory allowed me to trade in my boiler when I want to upgrade. Pretty cool hu?

                      There is also the option to buy different kinds of columns and still heads for their boilers.

                      The 20L would cost me a bit more in fact, but not a whole lot. Having space to keep it would be a bit of a problem, so I decided to start slow.

                      One decision facto was that they had a 10 L just being finished that day. It was supposed to be for another guy, but they let he have it.

                      So I bought the 10L still from that video I posted and it looks even cooler at close.

                      The finishing is impeccable and the quality of their products really surprised me (specially the big stills).

                      With the still I also purchased some cachaça yeast to get me started, but will read a bit more before I start fermenting. I still need to figure out how well this particular yeast type will work in eau de vie. Insights?

                      Cheers,

                      TH

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 1, 2011
                        Well Heck TH,

                        If they will trade it in for a larger one when your ready, then nothing
                        lost. I was just worried that the fittings and riser might not fit.
                        Anyways sounds good and best of luck with it. Keep us updated on your
                        progress and if you have any questions.

                        BTW, thankyou.

                        JB. aka Waldo.