fermenting grain

  • Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2011
      hello,
      when fermenting an all grain mash. sometimes i get a thick cake or head of grains that sit on the top. its usually 2.5"-3" thick.
      but it doesnt happen every time only about 3or4 out of 10 times.
      im curious what causes that and if its good or bad?
      being that its not consistent im not sure how im causing it, when it does happen.

      If it helps at all the ingredients ive been using are flaked corn, wheat and rye. with 2 row malted barley(crushed) and whiskey yeast with AG.

      Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2011
        Justin,

        When fermenting an all grain mash on the grain, this is a common
        occurance and is a sign of a good healthy fermentation with lots of CO2
        being generated. What is happening is that the grains are catching this
        CO2 and floating to the top. This "cap" should be stirred back in every
        day. After the first day or 2, be gentle though so as not to introduce
        addtional oxygen into the fermentation during the anaerobic stationary
        phase when the alcohol is being produced.

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Justin" <gripjustin@...> wrote:

        > hello,
        > when fermenting an all grain mash. sometimes i get a thick cake or
        head of grains that sit on the top. its usually 2.5"-3" thick.
        > but it doesnt happen every time only about 3or4 out of 10 times.
        > im curious what causes that and if its good or bad?
        > being that its not consistent im not sure how im causing it, when it
        does happen.

        > If it helps at all the ingredients ive been using are flaked corn,
        wheat and rye. with 2 row malted barley(crushed) and whiskey yeast with
        AG.

        > Justin

      • Adam Fordham
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2011
          I read your post and wanted to ask your opinion as i'm about to make my first all grain mash. I've been doing sugar washes with turbos and still new to this hobby. I can say Ive read something about stirring the "cap" back into the mash but there are guys on here that are far more knowledgeable than me.
          Ok first off any advice you can give will be most appreciated. Here is what I have...
          Flaked Maize, 6 row Pale malt,Prestige WD yeast with Amylogucosidase, Two 26.5L fermenters with lids and airlocks, and a 60 qt stock pot. Was thinking i would follow Ian Smileys whiskey recipe (don't know if you have read his book). Read a post on here ( post #37774) and now am thinking about going that route instead or mixing the two. Anything... tricks etc that i should try or be aware of ? One thing to read another to have real world experience.

        • cornwhiskey@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
            Keep the fermentation around 80F (26.7C). By keeping it hot you will speed up the fermentation and keep the yeast happy.