Re: wash with dunder

  • Alex Castillo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hi Jim

      Well, about the PH is in fact very low (around 3 maybe as I measure it with one of those PH strips). But I found and old post from Harry in which he gives a clue: use a lot of yeast. He there says that he uses some 300 grams. So I did it, took some 4 liters of molasses, dunder and water, almost 50/50, DAP and around a cup of baker´s yeast and lots of air (from the aquarium pump). It worked! It began at around 1.090 and now is at 1.040 where my lasts fermentations are stopping (too much solids?! I remind you I don´t clarify the molasses). For next one I´ll use less molasses (3 liters) to reduce the SG. But what really pisses me off is the fact of being unable to reuse my yeast, while it´s ok for baker´s but the other ones are expensive and as you know come in 5 grams sachets, so using large amounts each time does not sound like a plan I´d like to follow. For those I´ll think only will use dunder for the spirits run only and not for the wash. Anyways my next experiment will be using some 5 liters of lees (trub) and plenty air, dunder/water 50/50, DAP and let´s see how it goes. In the other hand what you feel about molasses I feel the same about malt, is so expensive for me and it gives so lower yields, oh boy!

      Alex
    • Alex Castillo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hi Mike,

        Thanks for the reply and the ideas. Yes, I think that oxygen could be an important factor. I did an experiment adding lots of air and also lots of yeast and the fermentation worked.

        Alex