Re: wash with dunder

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
      Alex,

      Why are you thinking that buddy? I get the same yield (dont like
      anymore then 10 to 11% ABV for rum) whether I use dunder or not, EC-1118
      0r friggin bakers yeast. Dunder just helps reduce the sugar content and
      add flavors.... Unless your dunder is too acidic and the yeast is not
      fermenting completely, then the yields should be the same. (just my
      opinion)...

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo"
      <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody and happy 2011!
      >
      > Why do you get lower yields when using dunder for your rum wash? got
      to use more yeast? Maybe Harry can add on this and share how he does his
      cuts at spirits run.

      > Alex

    • Alex Castillo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
        Hi Jim

        Happened that a couple of my rum, all molasses, washes got stuck and think it was the dunder was too acidic. I had to dump a big amount of yeast to revive the fermentation and somehow I was under the impression that my yields were lower. I don´t work with sugar anymore, simply is more expensive than molasses which I get for some US$ 1.50 per gallon.

        In the other hand, for my last spirit run of rum (from 2 gallons low wines) I got, in my opinion, too much for heads (1.4 liters at 77 % ABV) and tails (3 liters at 65% ABV) and not that much middle (1 liter at 75 % ABV). I went all by taste and did add the rum oils to the tails. Ideas?

        Alex
      • MoSS
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
          Hi Alex,
          My thought's on this are:
          Dunder has no dissoluble oxygen present.
          Once mixed as a sugar/water wash (or molasses/water), the available oxygen is less than starting with a new wash.
          One of my early experiments ended in near complete failure when I used more than 50% dunder in the wash, fermentation didn't start until I diluted the wash to 20% or thereabouts.
          I've never had a stripping run that yielded high % using molasses or dunder/molasses.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
            Hey Alex,

            Hard to say from a distance here, and not sure what I can tell you that
            you dont already know.

            Without knowing the amount of dunder you added, hope you checked the pH
            level of the starting fermentation after addition. I do tend to agree
            with Moss, when he talked about the lack of available O2 if your adding
            more the 30% dunder and you need to do some aeration of the
            ferementation to start off. As far as the pH levels, you should alway
            check the initial pH on the start of the fermentation and dont start off
            less than 4.8 (assuming loss of another point or so during
            fermentation.)

            Now since your using just straight molasses and getting it so cheap
            (damn you would choke if I told you 1.25 US is more then I pay for a
            pint of the good stuff I can only get here), could it be you got a few
            batches with a really low yield of sugar???

            I mean the molasses I have to use is cooking quality first run and
            contains 60% or so sugars versus most likely the blackstrap you are
            using from the 3rd boiling that has way less sugar content in it??? I
            know some of the blackstrap that ZB has found around the US contains
            less then 40% sugars.

            Do me a favor, let me know if you can find out the brix of your
            molasses, the amounts and ratio your using, along with the amount and
            ratio of the dunder and the starting pH and SG of the fermentation. May
            give us some clues. Also what type of yeast are you using now? If you
            are using straight molasses, be careful, since not only the pH, but the
            excess osmodic pressures from the additional solids in it that can kill
            off the yeasts and cause a stuck fermentation. I beleive Harry has
            mentions it should be diluted at least 4 to 1.

            Thanks Alex.

            <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jim
            >
            > Happened that a couple of my rum, all molasses, washes got stuck and
            think it was the dunder was too acidic. I had to dump a big amount of
            yeast to revive the fermentation and somehow I was under the impression
            that my yields were lower. I don´t work with sugar anymore, simply is
            more expensive than molasses which I get for some US$ 1.50 per gallon.

            > In the other hand, for my last spirit run of rum (from 2 gallons low
            wines) I got, in my opinion, too much for heads (1.4 liters at 77 % ABV)
            and tails (3 liters at 65% ABV) and not that much middle (1 liter at 75
            % ABV). I went all by taste and did add the rum oils to the tails.
            Ideas?

            > Alex

          • Alex Castillo
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
              Hi Jim

              Well, about the PH is in fact very low (around 3 maybe as I measure it with one of those PH strips). But I found and old post from Harry in which he gives a clue: use a lot of yeast. He there says that he uses some 300 grams. So I did it, took some 4 liters of molasses, dunder and water, almost 50/50, DAP and around a cup of baker´s yeast and lots of air (from the aquarium pump). It worked! It began at around 1.090 and now is at 1.040 where my lasts fermentations are stopping (too much solids?! I remind you I don´t clarify the molasses). For next one I´ll use less molasses (3 liters) to reduce the SG. But what really pisses me off is the fact of being unable to reuse my yeast, while it´s ok for baker´s but the other ones are expensive and as you know come in 5 grams sachets, so using large amounts each time does not sound like a plan I´d like to follow. For those I´ll think only will use dunder for the spirits run only and not for the wash. Anyways my next experiment will be using some 5 liters of lees (trub) and plenty air, dunder/water 50/50, DAP and let´s see how it goes. In the other hand what you feel about molasses I feel the same about malt, is so expensive for me and it gives so lower yields, oh boy!

              Alex
            • Alex Castillo
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
                Hi Mike,

                Thanks for the reply and the ideas. Yes, I think that oxygen could be an important factor. I did an experiment adding lots of air and also lots of yeast and the fermentation worked.

                Alex