Gotmatt's Potsill 2.0

  • gotmatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Happy New Year everyone! Below is my new year's resolution. I'd love any yay or nay advice from the Whiskey distillers...

      15.5 gal stainless keg, 6 inch hole in the top, 12 gallon batch
      copper plate gets bolted to keg with (one or more to make airtight) cork o-ring gasket(s)
      Sautered to copper plate is 4 - one inch M copper pipes, in line, 12 inch risers, all with 90 elbows
      From the 90, the 4 - one inch pipes extends about 18" into the "condenser".

      Condenser is a rectangle ice chest with water. Hose inlet and outlet on either end. (From tap, water runs through my immersion chiller in a 5gal bucket of ice water then to chest, so water inside ice chest should be pretty darn cold)

      On the hose inlet side of the chest (inside chest), 1" reduces to 3/8" (all copper) and stubs out the other side (all 4). A manifold connects all 4 - 3/8" copper to a single 3/8" to a parrot (?) to a collection vessel.

      A lot of things going on here, but end result is a very affordable and available still for me. Any velocity/problems/other issues with this set up?

      55,000 BTU propane burner is the heat source, flame can be lowered to almost nothing.

      Happy distilling in 2011!