new to the group.

  • seed_science
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2010
      Hi guys

      This hobby sounds like a very good way to get into trouble; I am looking forward to it!
      My question is I have a 30L keg that I thinking of converting to a internal electric heat source. The ribs on the keg are placed in such a way that the heater will be welded in just below center. I think this will be OK because if at best I can pull off 5.5-6 L of the heart and heads are 500ML this leaves at least 18L. Right?

      One more question, I have access to Sorghum Molasses will this make Rum after it's been aged in toasted oak ?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2011
        Hi Seed,

        Welcome aboard. You should have no problems with placing your internal
        heating elements below the center. Just make sure if its a 30 L keg you
        dont pull off more then 8 or 9 liters at a distillation and expose the
        elements to air or allow burning. Keep you washes clear. Second
        distillations may be a problem unless you got enough liquid in it. Just
        get them as low as possible. GL.

        As far as making rum from Shorghum, never have tried it, but heard from
        people that its no where as good as molasses from sugar cane for making
        a nice rum. Stick to whats tried and known.

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "seed_science" <seed_science@...>