In need of a good recipe

  • Adam F
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 30, 2010
      Ok ive read so much i'm kinda numb lol. Wanting to make a decent whisky and have read about a ton of different recipes and wanted to see if someone would "personaly" recomend one.
      Here is what I have....5lb pale malt, two 26.5 l fermenters
      I have access to corn meal, oatmeal, maybe corn for deer feeders at waly world.
      Would like to use as little sugar as possiable...preferably none.
      Anyones suggestion would be welcome.
    • geoff burrows
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
        Best of good quality Barley is what the Scottish have used for centauries (remember use good quality because if you put crap in you get crap out).  The Jocks have used barley for maximum natural sugar return in the wort, therefore maximum alcohol conversion. you only got to look at their single malts to see how sucessful barley is.
        Geoff
      • Adam F
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
          what i have is a 5lbs six row pale malted barley.
          i don't have a good grain source yet and shipping cost on 50lb bags is high so i was thinking cornflakes....maybe

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
            Well Adam,

            Kind of agree with both Geoff and ZB when they say a good single malt
            (no other grains than barley) is a nice easy recipe to start with and
            gives good results. However, I have had very good results with using
            corn flakes as a substitute for cracked corn in the no-cook UJSSM
            method, but these will work well in a full mash all grain recipe as well
            since they are pre-cooked and just need to be gelantinized for the
            starch conversion. Might want to try a 3 to 1 ratio of corn flakes to
            malted barley or so for starters.

            Just my opinion.

            JB. aka Waldo.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Adam F" <bluwater2828@...>
            wrote:

            > what i have is a 5lbs six row pale malted barley.
            > i don't have a good grain source yet and shipping cost on 50lb bags is
            high so i was thinking cornflakes....maybe
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows"
            jeffrey.burrows@ wrote:

            > > Best of good quality Barley is what the Scottish have used for
            centauries (remember use good quality because if you put crap in you get
            crap out). The Jocks have used barley for maximum natural sugar return
            in the wort, therefore maximum alcohol conversion. you only got to look
            at their single malts to see how sucessful barley is.
            > > Geoff

          • Adam Fordham
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
              Maybe Corn Meal. Say 2.5 lbs malt to 7.5 lbs corn meal , 25L water? I'm going to use Whisky Yeast with AG. Have to figure out what I'm gonna filter it with though...i'm thinking cornmeal is gonna be a pain to use but might taste better than cornflakes.

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                Adam,

                Be very careful with corn meal.... I have found if you over cook it,
                you end up with nothing but a thick porridge which is impossible to
                lauter. Just heat it up enough to gelatinize - I'd rather use corn
                flakes or cracked corn with about 5-6 or so cracks per kernnel. A good
                filtering device is a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag drapped over
                your fermenter and let the mash lauter out.

                As far as taste goes, if you read the ingredients in a box of corn
                flakes, they have malt flavors and all kinds of added nutrients. Tend
                to disagree with that statement. For additional flavors, I would try
                for some sour mashing with a few runs - adding the backset (3o to 40%)
                to the next fermentations helps alot.

                JB. aka Waldo.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adam Fordham <bluwater2828@...>
                wrote:

                > Maybe Corn Meal. Say 2.5 lbs malt to 7.5 lbs corn meal , 25L water?
                I'm going to use Whisky Yeast with AG. Have to figure out what I'm gonna
                filter it with though...i'm thinking cornmeal is gonna be a pain to use
                but might taste better than cornflakes.

              • Adam Fordham
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                   I agree with you that corn meal is gonna be a pain but i do have access to it.  I gotta find corn some how...do you know of TSC (Tractor Supply Company) its kinda like a walmart for hobby farmers. I've looked at some of the feed corn products they have but just nervous about what they may have treated it with. Something else is I was thinking about adding a 5 hr energy shooter to a mash for nutrients. I read some about redbull being used.

                  wrote:

                  > Maybe Corn Meal. Say 2.5 lbs malt to 7.5 lbs corn meal , 25L water?
                  I'm going to use Whisky Yeast with AG. Have to figure out what I'm gonna
                  filter it with though...i'm thinking cornmeal is gonna be a pain to use
                  but might taste better than cornflakes.

                • slipthruthecracks
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adam Fordham <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

                    > Maybe Corn Meal. Say 2.5 lbs malt to 7.5 lbs corn meal , 25L water? I'm going to use Whisky Yeast with AG. Have to figure out what I'm gonna filter it with though...i'm thinking cornmeal is gonna be a pain to use but might taste better than cornflakes.

                    There is no doubt that corn is by far the worst to work with. I have had good success with Flaked corn. I stay away from the brew shop variety which is expensive. I get mine at the local feed roller mill and this past summer I paid $25 for 100#. The advantage is that it doesn't have to be cooked since it is pre-gelatinized.

                    I run the flaked corn through my corona corn mill and grind it nearly to powder. I heat my water to boiling and then turn the heat off. I gradually add the crushed flaked corn stirring all the time. Yeah, it really gets thick. I cover it and let it sit till temp comes down to about 158F. Then I add my crushed barley malt and stir like crazy. It loosens up almost immediately as the enzymes begin to work. I have not used packaged enzymes but i understand these work well, too. Once the mash temp is low enough, I pitch my yeast and ferment on the grain. I usually add enough sugar to bring potential alcohol up to about 8% since the corn/barley mix I use only give me about 6% and this is just to stinkin much work for so little yield.

                    I have a homemade cider press that did well this last year in separating out the liquid from the mash solids.

                    I strip and then run for cuts and age on toasted white oak strips left over from the floor I put in a few years ago. I toasted them after the floor was in :)

                    Hope this helps.

                    OneEyedJack
                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010
                      Damn, Waldo,

                      Maybe that's where I've been going wrong. I'll be more careful with gelatinizing temps next year (this year is going to be the single-malt year, my preference anyway).

                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 31, 2010

                        Hell ya Adam,

                        TSC (tractor supply co.) has some nice cracked corn products that have no presevatives and are easily adaptable to making that corn hootch stuff.  Just check the lable for ingredients.  Any presevatives or additives will be marked on them.

                        Happy New Year.

                      • Adam Fordham
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 1, 2011
                          Hey what did you mean by "that corn hootch stuff"   lol.....thats the good stuff right lol.....   Happy New Year Evryone

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 2, 2011

                            Hey Adam,

                            Happy New Year.

                            When I say "corn hootch stuff", yes it means Im referring to good ol white lightening that is served out of a mason jar and not the classy aged stuff that is served out of a bottle and dark brown in color....  ;)   Down south here, you really need to make a distinction whether your talking about true aged Bourbons, Tennesee Whiskey or homemade hootch that aint aged and aint brown...  Or even made in the no cook UJSSM method....

                             ROTF  Have a Happy New Years.