JEM wash clarification

  • rosnekcaj
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2010
      Using a Jem wash with 10 lb sugar in 5.5 gal water and recycled trub -about 5 cycles, fermented at 81F.

      Fermented down to .998 in about 5-6 days, then racked into a carboy and waiting and waiting and waiting. As clarification proceeded I began to discern a definite layering effect.
      Very clear intially at the top, then fine haze layer, and then a much layer coarser below the fine layer. The lower bottom layer approached the bottom fairly rapidly. The top very clear layer bottom dropped more slowly down to where it has appearently stopped at about 25% from the top, and the bottom layer a haze beginning at a definite line below the very clear top layer and very gradually getting thicker near the bottom.

      Its been 3 weeks now and I am wondering what may be causing this and the very clear layer refuses to grow.

      Could it be a bacteria infection picked up by the recycled trub?

      At this point I suppose I'll rack it into the boiler and strip it as is.

      rosnekcaj