Re: pressure cooker still

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 20, 2010
      CR,

      When you say "gasket", I'm assuming you're talking about the big sealing
      ring in the lid? The one that seals the lid to the pot?

      I've heard, but I've never seen, that there are some modern pressure
      cookers that do not seal until some minimum pressure is reached, but my
      last Presto, a 6-quart stainless cooker, purchased about 4 years ago,
      still seals with no internal pressure.

      To be safe, I often, but not always, replace the sealing ring with a new
      one when I revive an old pressure cooker to duty as a still. You can get
      rings for just about any pressure cooker at
      http://www.cookingandcanning.net/

      Is there any chance that your still head is so off-balance that it tries
      to lift one side of the lid from the pot? Balancing the head is one
      reason for the folded-lyne-arm "figure-4" design I posted a couple of
      days ago, although I've also had head designs that were pretty lop-sided
      and still sealed.

      You've got me scratching my head.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crsound" <crsound@...> wrote:

      > > I believe you; I just don't understand.
      > >
      > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      > >

      > Love You Too Bob, it's folks like us that make this a great planet.
      >
      > Any Hoo, it was always the gasket, so I never figured out how to fix
      that dang hook up, any ideas are surly welcome Bob,,