brain fart question

  • Ricky R
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2010
      for the life of me I cant remember the name of the round flange-with 3 bolt holes in it used to attach the colum to the lid..have looked all over lowes and home depot online and typed everything-my meds must be killing brain cells lmao can someone help me signed brain farted ...lol
    • shotman
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010

        Hi Ricky,
        This is the brass ones I have looked up at Graingers. Very pricey though. Lowe's, Ace Hardware and Home Depot around here only have black or galvanized iron flanges that I've seen in the stores.

        Cost is why I haven't gotton one yet. I use a Stainless Steel sink drain and brass tailpiece for my 1 1/2 in now. Will probably make a flange when I do a 2 inch head.
        See you shotman

        for the life of me I cant remember the name of the round flange-with 3 bolt holes in it used to attach the colum to the lid..have looked all over lowes and home depot online and typed everything-my meds must be killing brain cells lmao can someone help me signed brain farted ...lol

      • Ricky R.
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
          ok kool--just trying to come up with a way to attach 16 in of 1'' pipe-column..to my pressure canner..18 qt..still thinking of using the galvinized one as the way I'll attach it wont come in contact with vapors...use the flange carrage bolts and cork seal...flange to pipejb weld..through top with 1'' or so through the lid...hope that rambling made sense lol
          This is the brass ones I have looked up at Graingers. Very pricey though. Lowe's, Ace Hardware and Home Depot around here only have black or galvanized iron flanges that I've seen in the stores.

          Cost is why I haven't gotton one yet. I use a Stainless Steel sink drain and brass tailpiece for my 1 1/2 in now. Will probably make a flange when I do a 2 inch head.
          See you shotman

          for the life of me I cant remember the name of the round flange-with 3 bolt holes in it used to attach the colum to the lid..have looked all over lowes and home depot online and typed everything-my meds must be killing brain cells lmao can someone help me signed brain farted ...lol

          No virus found in this message.

          No virus found in this message.

        • *
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R" <rrogers10@...> wrote:

            > for the life of me I cant remember the name of the round flange-with 3 bolt holes in it used to attach the colum to the lid..have looked all over lowes and home depot online and typed everything-my meds must be killing brain cells lmao can someone help me signed brain farted ...lol

            i think the part you are looking for is an automotive part. not sure of the name but its an ss exhaust part. hope this helps.
          • Keith D
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
              Sounds like your talking about an exhaust collector, used with headers. Has a (Usually) 3 or 4 bolt flange, comes in varying diameters.

              Merry Chrysler and Happy New Yorker

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R" <rrogers10@...> wrote:

                > for the life of me I cant remember the name of the round flange-with 3 bolt holes in it used to attach the colum to the lid..have looked all over lowes and home depot online and typed everything-my meds must be killing brain cells lmao can someone help me signed brain farted ...lol

                Balustrade Flange Plate.

                http://www.contempstainless.com.au/flange.htm

              • Ricky R.
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                  kool-I'm open on sugestions on it too  : ) ....want to attach 1'' copper column to 18 qt pressure canner..

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                  I may need to reed more..on home site saw if I use smaller pipe I will need less heat..1/4 to 1/2 inch pipe..made me think a bit and then found theese pics..and also pic of my cooker wich is same pot...any opinions or thoughts on this ?

                  Message 9 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." <rrogers10@...> wrote:

                    > kool-I'm open on sugestions on it too : ) ...want to attach 1'' copper column to 18 qt pressure canner..

                    Make the column 2". 1" ain't worth the bother (it's 1/4 capacity of a 2"). It'll take you all weekend to get 1 quart of booze out of a 1", if you can even run it right (not easy).

                    It's not the size of the boiler that's important for production rate, it's the size/diameter of the column. That's where the distilling is done. Make it 2" x 36" & pack it with genuine all-copper mesh. Read up on it.

                  • Ricky R.
                    Message 10 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                      ok see I looked at that and thought it would be too big in dia....have to run inside on stove or hot plate while son at school so time is a big deal and hieght too..counter top..

                      Message 11 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                        That didn't sound quite right. I used a brass tail piece nut that I bored out slightly and solderd to the 1 1/2 inch riser I use now. I used a 3/4 inch rizer for a while but after it foamed up and shut the little 3/4 inch hole off it blew a quick burst of beer all around so I switched to the stainless steel sink drain and 1 1/2 inch riser. Done that twice no less. Same 1000 watt burner but have had no more lid raising exitement. I also put 8 short cut copper tube pieces in there now. I can hear them bouncing around in there after it's run for a while.
                        Have a good one,
                        shotman

                        Message 12 of 13 , Dec 19, 2010
                          kool..in doing some more reading I think I'm going to try my hand at a mini bokabob..looks good ,solid and somewhat easy to build..and the sink drain looks solid as you said..being as the print its 24'' tall.good height for me and 1 1/2 '' column...comments welcome and pics too...thanks ..

                          Message 13 of 13 , Dec 20, 2010
                            not able to find 2'' pipe...can get 1 1/2''  pipe...like the bokakob mini ..thing I'm going to do this one hope it produces well