Re: End product cloudy

  • kentuckybrew
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2010
      Harry,thanks for the input. I also read on Tony Ackland's Homedistiller.org site that the fusels from including too much tails can also cause cloudiness (and off oders and off tasts).

      2 of the 3 possibilities can be solved by filtering (1-protein haze as you pointed out, and 2-presence of fusels as Tony's site points out). So I chill-filtered with a small amount of activated charcoal and doubled coffee filters. 90% of the haze filtered out and so did any remaining off oder leaving plenty of flavor from the corn and other recipe ingredients.

      The final (3rd) option you suggested could be caused by the use of cheap plastic tubing with the hot distillate. I did use a short 2 inch length of clear plastic tubing (used for siphoning) on the spout of my still. I'm assuming that since the filtering took care of nearly all the haze that whatever may have leached out is insignificant.

      Would you agree?

      Kentucky