Re: sugar wash question..

  • chris the crazy brewer
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2010
      Yeah, you definitely underpitched..

      I do a wash like that, I usually get a reading of about 1011

      I put a batch down last weekend - and it's still burbling away today..

      Mind you, I get the best results when I fill my bathtub with water - and place the fermenter in.. I find that it stabalises the fermentation - slows it down and you get less ' off flavours ' from the rushed fermentation..

      Once this is done ( after it stops bubbling ) you transfer it to a clean fermenter.. at this stage, I take the opportunity to run a ' still spirits ' settling liquid through - this brings all the yeast and trub that is suspended out.. and makes it cleaner when you run it for the strip.. you'll notice the quality of your distillate improve instantly..

      You should be getting around 20% alcohol once the ferment is finished, I have a feeling you didnt do an SG and FG reading on the wort, hence you just boiled 8kg of sugar water..

      That's life, you know now - so you dont make the same mistake next time :)