Re: sugar wash question..

  • *
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Slingshot" <slange22@...> wrote:

      > I have tried a sugar wash to run in my refux still but think I am doing something wrong. I decided to try Alcotec 48 yeast and found a recipe on the label...bear with the length.
      >
      > 14% in 48 hours or 20% in 5 days
      >
      > pour 21 liters of 40c degree water into fermenter. Add 6 kgs (for 14%) or 8 kgs (for 20%) of sugar and mix until dissolved.
      > Then add 1 sachet of Alcotec 48 and stir for one minute. Leave to ferment in 20-32c degree. Ferment times vary depending on ambient temp.
      >
      > IMPORTANT: Do not use an airlock.
      >

      > I used this recipe (for 20%). First question is..how much is a sachet? The bag Alcotec comes in is 135grams. I googled and think a sachet is about 2 teaspoons. Sound about right? Second question..why no airlock??
      >
      > My results were FAR from 20 or even 14 % I think it was closer to 7. Fermenting started at around 12 hours and stayed steady for a day.( I used an airlock). Air lock activity continued but slowed way down and lasted about 2 weeks....
      >
      > I am thinking I under pitched the yeast
      >
      > Any ideas??

      First question is..how much is a sachet? the whole packet
      it contains yeast and nutrients need for the recipe on the envelope
    • chris the crazy brewer
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2010
        Yeah, you definitely underpitched..

        I do a wash like that, I usually get a reading of about 1011

        I put a batch down last weekend - and it's still burbling away today..

        Mind you, I get the best results when I fill my bathtub with water - and place the fermenter in.. I find that it stabalises the fermentation - slows it down and you get less ' off flavours ' from the rushed fermentation..

        Once this is done ( after it stops bubbling ) you transfer it to a clean fermenter.. at this stage, I take the opportunity to run a ' still spirits ' settling liquid through - this brings all the yeast and trub that is suspended out.. and makes it cleaner when you run it for the strip.. you'll notice the quality of your distillate improve instantly..

        You should be getting around 20% alcohol once the ferment is finished, I have a feeling you didnt do an SG and FG reading on the wort, hence you just boiled 8kg of sugar water..

        That's life, you know now - so you dont make the same mistake next time :)