sugar wash question..

  • Slingshot
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010
      I have tried a sugar wash to run in my refux still but think I am doing something wrong. I decided to try Alcotec 48 yeast and found a recipe on the label...bear with the length.

      14% in 48 hours or 20% in 5 days

      pour 21 liters of 40c degree water into fermenter. Add 6 kgs (for 14%) or 8 kgs (for 20%) of sugar and mix until dissolved.
      Then add 1 sachet of Alcotec 48 and stir for one minute. Leave to ferment in 20-32c degree. Ferment times vary depending on ambient temp.

      IMPORTANT: Do not use an airlock.

      I used this recipe (for 20%). First question is..how much is a sachet? The bag Alcotec comes in is 135grams. I googled and think a sachet is about 2 teaspoons. Sound about right? Second question..why no airlock??

      My results were FAR from 20 or even 14 % I think it was closer to 7. Fermenting started at around 12 hours and stayed steady for a day.( I used an airlock). Air lock activity continued but slowed way down and lasted about 2 weeks....

      I am thinking I under pitched the yeast

      Any ideas??
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010

        I have tried a sugar wash to run in my refux still but think I am doing something wrong. I decided to try Alcotec 48 yeast and found a recipe on the label...bear with the length.

        14% in 48 hours or 20% in 5 days

        pour 21 liters of 40c degree water into fermenter. Add 6 kgs (for 14%) or 8 kgs (for 20%) of sugar and mix until dissolved.
        Then add 1 sachet of Alcotec 48 and stir for one minute. Leave to ferment in 20-32c degree. Ferment times vary depending on ambient temp.

        IMPORTANT: Do not use an airlock.

        Some of these Turbo’s are pretty violent, but, I have 2 airlocks on my fermenter and this solve the problem…I would us e a airlock

        I used this recipe (for 20%). First question is..how much is a sachet? The bag Alcotec comes in is 135grams. I googled and think a sachet is about 2 teaspoons. Sound about right? Second question..why no airlock??

        Turbo’s are a complete system so use the whole sachet as they contain the correct balance of yeast and nutrients to complete the wash

        My results were FAR from 20 or even 14 % I think it was closer to 7. Fermenting started at around 12 hours and stayed steady for a day.( I used an airlock). Air lock activity continued but slowed way down and lasted about 2 weeks....

        I am thinking I under pitched the yeast

        Yes
        Any ideas??

        Cheers

        Ken Mc

        .

      • Dom Scotto
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010
          his took many trials and errors- no turbo yeasts for best results

          1-- A 7 GALLONS BATCH OF SUGAR WASH (for pure spirit or vodka & gin)

          (((START AS 6 GALLONS ---(((BECOMES 7 WHEN ALL IS FINISHED)))

          2--need--Ph meter-citric acid-DAP- formulated yeast energizer- yeast nutrient-yeast hulls- malt extract-beakers--

          Bucket –stirrer –sugar -scales-3 Ziplocs—(triple scale hydrometer)

          3--NAME OF YEAST=_ec1118 or______-USE 2 PACKETS-use  1 gallon glass jar for starter bottle

                SEE STARTER BOTTLE METHOD IN 8E thru 8H

          4--  14 pounds of sugar to (((6 gallons of water))) will yield about a 10.5 % wash-after adding all items to the

          6 gallons, the batch is about 7 gallons---

          20 POUNDS OF SUGUAR,WILL YIELD ABOUT 14.5% ALCOHOL--22.5 pounds will yield 16% P.A.

          5--D.A.P.--125 grams total- in three zip locks--45g--45gr--35gr-( use gunpowder scale)

           ALSO  add 1 tsp of "yeast  nutrient, yeast energizer" and "yeast hulls" to each zip lock bag

          6-- Acid blend--add 1-tablespoon to wort BEFORE ((see note B just below)) adding the first  zip lock bag ((note effect on ph))

          7--((be sure to add all ingredients to zip lock bags as stated in step 5))

          8-- Mix sugar syrup--add 5 quarts water to the sugar and heat to completely dissolve the sugar

          A--TOP UP WITH TAP WATER TO 6 GALLONS and add first DAP packet that contains energizer and hulls

          ADD--Add the 3/4((1.5 pounds)) pound of malt extract

          B--ADJUST--acid--- ((FIRST)) (try only 1 tbsp acid blend and test)))

                            I didn't test the ph tried 2 tbsp acid-too low

          Adjust ph to 4 and test periodically to keep it in the 3.4 to 4 range-   --

          C--see potassium bicarbonate notes to raise ph and gypsum or acid to lower it.

           ((Wort must have the additives  mixed in it already))

          D-- NOW Make THE starter bottle 1 liter wort & 1 liter water.

          AERATE-15 minutes

          E-- ON FIRST DAY before pitching yeast-- P.A ___. -- SG ___

                   ((USE ATTACHED CHART ONLY FOR KEEPING ALL RECORDS))

          F--Add 2 packets yeast to the starter bottle and allow 3 1/2 hours to re hydrate and multiply

          G--Aerate wort for 45 minutes during the last 45 minutes of  rehydrating the yeast in the starter bottle

          H-- Pitch the starter bottle, stir and cover wort ((((IF yeast has  multiplied once every half  hour i believe))

          ((there will be 128 times as  much as  just  with the 2 packets))

          I--Stir often--at least 3 times a day for the first 2 days

          REGARDING TESTS--ALWAYS make and enter all TESTS BEFORE PERFORMING OTHER ACTIONS.

          STIRRING RECORD--DAY#1___ -MAKE ALL NOTES ON ATTACHED CHART only

          NOTE-- making tests--MAKE ALL DAILY  ENTRY'S ON the new ATTACHED CHART

          -((don’t eliminate tests))        (( I'M A LAZY BUM))

            A-- ((((STARTING ON THIRD DAY))))--stir daily only once every morning until racked to carboy under lock

            B-- ((((ALSO ON THIRD DAY))))--add second 45 gm of dap that contains energizer + hulls ((( add slowly or it may overflow))

          add 1/3 at a time mixed in a total of 1 cup water

            C-- (((((ALSO ON THIRD DAY)))))--STIR AND RE AERATE THE MIXTURE for 15 minutes

          ON THE FIFTH DAY--RE AERATE AND ADD THE LAST ENVELOPE CONTAINING

          35 GR. OF D.A.P. that includes the energizer and hulls

          ((( add slowly or it may overflow)) add 1/3 at a time mixed in a total of 1 cup water

          ON THE  SEVENTH DAY--MOVE TO CARBOY UNDER LOCK

          Ferment till dry--  SG less than 1

          lots of work but a sugar wash needs  nutrients where the grains usually have enough

          good luck

          I ride with the big boys
          Dont Worry About The World Ending Today, It's Already Tomorrow In Australia !

          IN GOD WE TRUST

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Slingshot" <slange22@...> wrote:

            > I have tried a sugar wash to run in my refux still but think I am doing something wrong. I decided to try Alcotec 48 yeast and found a recipe on the label...bear with the length.
            >
            > 14% in 48 hours or 20% in 5 days
            >
            > pour 21 liters of 40c degree water into fermenter. Add 6 kgs (for 14%) or 8 kgs (for 20%) of sugar and mix until dissolved.
            > Then add 1 sachet of Alcotec 48 and stir for one minute. Leave to ferment in 20-32c degree. Ferment times vary depending on ambient temp.
            >
            > IMPORTANT: Do not use an airlock.
            >

            > I used this recipe (for 20%). First question is..how much is a sachet? The bag Alcotec comes in is 135grams. I googled and think a sachet is about 2 teaspoons. Sound about right? Second question..why no airlock??
            >
            > My results were FAR from 20 or even 14 % I think it was closer to 7. Fermenting started at around 12 hours and stayed steady for a day.( I used an airlock). Air lock activity continued but slowed way down and lasted about 2 weeks....
            >
            > I am thinking I under pitched the yeast
            >
            > Any ideas??

            First question is..how much is a sachet? the whole packet
            it contains yeast and nutrients need for the recipe on the envelope
          • chris the crazy brewer
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 12, 2010
              Yeah, you definitely underpitched..

              I do a wash like that, I usually get a reading of about 1011

              I put a batch down last weekend - and it's still burbling away today..

              Mind you, I get the best results when I fill my bathtub with water - and place the fermenter in.. I find that it stabalises the fermentation - slows it down and you get less ' off flavours ' from the rushed fermentation..

              Once this is done ( after it stops bubbling ) you transfer it to a clean fermenter.. at this stage, I take the opportunity to run a ' still spirits ' settling liquid through - this brings all the yeast and trub that is suspended out.. and makes it cleaner when you run it for the strip.. you'll notice the quality of your distillate improve instantly..

              You should be getting around 20% alcohol once the ferment is finished, I have a feeling you didnt do an SG and FG reading on the wort, hence you just boiled 8kg of sugar water..

              That's life, you know now - so you dont make the same mistake next time :)