End product cloudy

  • kentuckybrew
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010
      I could use a bit of advice.

      I have a pot still and followed the bourbon (Jim Beam) recipe in the "files" section. All went picture perfect as best I know. My end product is a bit cloudy and had a sour smell after it cooled. Now, letting it rest for 3 weeks, the smell is not bad and it has pretty good flavor but it is still cloudy.

      Three quesitons:
      1) How can I clear away the cloudiness?
      2) What step(s) caused the cloudiness?
      3) Why did it smell so sour when the blended end product cooled and why did the smell go away after 3 weeks stored in pint mason jars?

      Here is the procedure I followed:

      Day 1 – Prepared the Jim Beam recipe ingredients and stored in a 6 gal fermenting bucket.

      Day 2 – Aerated for 30 minutes using an aquarium aerator. Pitched the yeast. Installed an aquarium heater, airlock and applied a temperature strip to the fermenting bucket. A lot of co2 activity for the next 2 days then slowed down.

      Day 4 - checked the hydrometer. Reading 1.001.

      Day 5 - checked the hydrometer. Reading 1.000. Did my stripping Run: Racked the wash from the mash and filtered the last bit through cheese cloth. Ran 4.5 stripping runs in my 1 gal pot still. Took off the first 20 ml as heads of each run (except the last half run – took just half as much). Each run produced 1 pint at 45% and 1 pint at 25%, except the last half run which produced 1 pint at 35% (essentially a blend of two half pints like the full runs).

      Did my spirits Run: Blended all 4 of the 45% pints with 2 25% pints with 3 pints of backset producing 9 pints of 27% for the spirits run. Produces 4 pints: #1 is 72%, #2 is 65%, #3 is 50%, #4 (partial) is 30% (full pint was clouded with fusel oils, so reintegrated and reran only ½ pint). Blended to 55% and added water to a final blend of 4 pints at 45% or 90 proof.

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kentuckybrew" <rmillerfly@...> wrote:

        > I could use a bit of advice.
        >
        > I have a pot still and followed the bourbon (Jim Beam) recipe in the "files" section. All went picture perfect as best I know. My end product is a bit cloudy and had a sour smell after it cooled. Now, letting it rest for 3 weeks, the smell is not bad and it has pretty good flavor but it is still cloudy.

        Link to the recipe/mash-bill please?

      • kentuckybrew
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010
          Harry, here is the link.

          Glad to accommodate.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2010
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kentuckybrew" <rmillerfly@...> wrote:

            > Harry, here is the link.

            > Glad to accommodate.
            >
            > Rich

            Looking at that recipe...there's no enzymes to convert the corn so it's there as a flavouring adjunct only. This probably means there's some protein haze in your product. Don't worry it won't hurt you. Many good single malt Scotch's have a protein haze. But if it's eye appeal you're looking for (clear bright product) the chill-filter it a 2°C through a 0.5 micron filter. That'll clear it up. But you may also lose some of that nice buttered corn taste. There's always tradeoffs.

            Another thought...
            The other common cause of cloudy product is using cheap clear plastic hoses with hot distillate. Substitute silicone or viton (medical grade) if you really must use 'em. If you use the cheap rubbish hose, it will leech junk into your ethanol. If you HAVE done this (you didn't say), use yer booze for lawnmower fuel. It won't ever clean up enough to be drinkable.

            http://distillers.tastylime.net/library
          • kentuckybrew
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 12, 2010
              Harry,thanks for the input. I also read on Tony Ackland's Homedistiller.org site that the fusels from including too much tails can also cause cloudiness (and off oders and off tasts).

              2 of the 3 possibilities can be solved by filtering (1-protein haze as you pointed out, and 2-presence of fusels as Tony's site points out). So I chill-filtered with a small amount of activated charcoal and doubled coffee filters. 90% of the haze filtered out and so did any remaining off oder leaving plenty of flavor from the corn and other recipe ingredients.

              The final (3rd) option you suggested could be caused by the use of cheap plastic tubing with the hot distillate. I did use a short 2 inch length of clear plastic tubing (used for siphoning) on the spout of my still. I'm assuming that since the filtering took care of nearly all the haze that whatever may have leached out is insignificant.

              Would you agree?

              Kentucky