Yeast/Turbo Clear

  • Adam F
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
      Anyone know if the two stage clearing agent you add to clear a wash kills yeast? Say if I add the Turbo Clear and don't run my cleared wash for a couple days will the yeast continue produceing alcohol or will the yeast be inert? I know its at the bottom of the wash just don't know if it is still active. I have been making sugar washes with 48 hr or 24 hr turbos.
    • just me
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
        Do you have a hydrometer?I would suggest that you switch to MUM washes.It is cheaper and gives a better final product.As I am on the subject(and sipping said subject) thank you Mason for developing the MUM.I am sorry I couldnt answer the question.
        Just Me
        “There is no terrorist threat. Yes, there have been horrific acts of terrorism and, yes, there will be acts of terrorism again. But that doesn’t mean that there’s some kind of massive terrorist threat.”
        –Michael Moore
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2010

          It is my understanding that the first stage sachet you put in after de-gassing kills the ferment and the second sachet is the finning agent to clear the wash so therefore would suggest that the yeasts is no longer active

          Cheers

          Ken Mc

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2010
            Adam,

            Ken is the Main Man to talk to about turbo yeast clearers, but if you
            need to make really sure that the yeast is dead before adding this, use
            a campden tablet or 2 (meta-bisulfiate) and let sit 24 hours for the
            sulpher gases to escape. Then do the Turbo Clear. I cannot find info
            on this product to say it does kill the yeast when added. Just makes
            the wash clear by flocculating all solids to the bottom...

            JB.