Re: Copper Pot Scrubbers

  • azeotech
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2010
      Lemon juice, white vinagar, or food-grade citric acic (or all three)dissolved in boiling hot water with a good soak can do the job. I'd avoid the salt. Boiling them in the solution seems the best, esp for the stubborn corrosion. Followed by a good rinse.

      Mind you, the bottom scrubbers will tend to be the funkiest, where the fusels reflux the most, any acids, or even mash puking will accumulate, so a bit of a "patina", may not be a bad thing, even unavoidable...

      To get a clean brew, it will be the top 3rd that really demand the attention, especially if "tails" are allowed to pass through as "feints" to add to subsequent brews, or the same column is used for "stripping". I always keep a reasonably "clean" set of scrubbers on hand that are only used for neutrals...

      Part of the problem also is that copper scrubbers galvanically corrode in a stainless column/still, (mine turned black!)whereas stainless scrubbers in a copper column behave *much* better.

      An all copper still, column, condensor and copper scrubbers seems to work best, while a copper column/condensor/srubbers on top of a stainless still seems to give the coppper a better chance with a more favourable SS-copper ratio.

      There's some good info on these compatibilities at

      http://www.realbeer.com/jjpalmer/brewcorr.txt

      Hope this helps! Cheers!