Re: Ethyl Acetate

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2010

      Adam,

      When you say copper, are just your scrubbers copper or is the column copper?  Also could you tell us what and how you fermented -   This colorless liquid has a characteristic sweet smell (similar to pear drops) like certain glues or nail polish removers, in which it is used. Ethyl acetate is the ester of ethanol and acetic acid; and may mean you fermentation has been infected by acetic acid bacteria, ummm should I say vinegar.

      Ethyl acetate is one of the foreshot compounds and has a lower boiling point the ethanol:

      • Acetone 56.5C (134F)
      • Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
      • Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
      • Ethanol 78C (172F)
      • 2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
      • 1-Propanol 97C (207F)
      • Water 100C (212F)
      • Butanol 116C (241F)
      • Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
      • Furfural 161C (322F)

      Next question is are you doing a single distillation, and if so, are you discarding your first few hundred ml. of distillate?  My Advise is to do a stripping run collecting all the alcohol and then do a spirits run and make your cuts in 500 ml. jars and then mix and match accordingly.

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Adam F" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

      > New to this and appreciate any advice. I have an 8gal Reflux still. Pack it good with copper and ratchet rings. I get 92% or better out of it but taste is harsh. Is there an easy way to remove the ethyl acetate? Homedistiller talks about salt and or baking soda.....any way to not go that route and still get the ethyl acetate out ? Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

    • Adam Fordham
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2010
        Hello and thanks for replying. Okay here is my setup..purchased a still from milehidistilling. Its stainless steel. I pack it with copper scrubbers (went thru the coated junk finally found 100% copper pot scrubbers....never thought made in Mexico would mean quality lol) and ratchet rings. I run it 173-176F.....mostly 174F- 175F. I discard the first 100ml. 15 to 20 litters of wash. Have fermentation bucket with a lid and airlock. Using 24 and or 48 hour turbo yeast packets premixed and sugar and distilled water from Kroger. Maybe being paranoid just want safe juice that has a neutral flavor...figure get neutral down then move on to grains. My wash tastes good to me kinda like a light beer...doesn't taste vinegary to me. Also haven't polished with carbon. I've read a ton of material on line and maybe just being twitchy. Ive done about 4 runs so i'm definately new to this.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2010
          Sounds like your doing the fermentation ok and that should not be the
          cause of your harsh flavors. Might just want to run your still a bit
          higher say 80 to 90C (176 to 195 F) since even though the boiling point
          of ethanol is 172 F, when mixed in a soultion of water (boiling point of
          212F and other lower and higher point alcohols), the boiling point of
          the ethanol will be somewhere between and higher...

          Carbon filtering also helps if your using turbo yeasts and ferementing
          with an ABV of over 15 to 16%.

          JB.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adam Fordham <bluwater2828@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello and thanks for replying. Okay here is my setup..purchased a
          still from milehidistilling. Its stainless steel. I pack it with copper
          scrubbers (went thru the coated junk finally found 100% copper pot
          scrubbers....never thought made in Mexico would mean quality lol)
          and ratchet rings. I run it 173-176F.....mostly 174F- 175F. I discard
          the first 100ml. 15 to 20 litters of wash. Have fermentation bucket with
          a lid and airlock. Using 24 and or 48 hour turbo yeast packets premixed
          and sugar and distilled water from Kroger. Maybe being paranoid just
          want safe juice that has a neutral flavor...figure get neutral down then
          move on to grains. My wash tastes good to me kinda like a light
          beer...doesn't taste vinegary to me. Also haven't polished with carbon.
          I've read a ton of material on line and maybe just being twitchy. Ive
          done about 4 runs so i'm definately new to this.

          copper? Also could you tell us what and how you fermented -Â
          Â This colorless liquid has a characteristic sweet smell (similar to

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2010
            Hadn't thought to try that....will try on my next run. I have been using the hot plate that came with the kit. Run it wide open and then adjusting my temperature by adjusting my water flow. Any idea if its the lower temp fussels that increase the hangover or if its the higher temp fussels?
            Home distiller has been my main source for information but not my only source. Definately an art to this hobby and I am enjoying the journey towards making a good juice. I appreciate the time you have spent helping me out. If you are in the US Happy Thanksgiving