Re: Pot Still Design

    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 22, 2010

      Hi All,

      What Harry is getting at is that with a single plate pot still (no doubler or thumper attached), you can only get 1 distillation per run, opposed to a reflux still in high seperation mode that allows multiple distillations in a single run depending on the number of theoretical plates.

      By adding new fermentation, backset, or in Alex's case - dunder, you can dilute the stripping run down to his recommended 27% and re-distill while at the same time adding flavors and have the spirits run come out around a 140 proof or so into the hearts.  This is about the right ABV you want in order to retain flavors.  In my book, this is much better then just diluting with water.

      Whiskey makers in the USA are not allowed to distill their spirits run over 165 proof by law and then dilute down to 125 proof or less for barreling.  If you refer to the temp vs vapor chart for pot stills that Harry and Pint put together which I referenced earlier in this thread - http://www.artisan-distiller.net/photoalbum/photos/pint_o_shine/Potstill_Dilute.GIF  you can see this.

      The importance of this should be obvious if one wants to retain flavors without making neutral alcohol.

      JB.

      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 22, 2010

        Hi All,