Re:corn

  • missouri_bootlegger
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 11, 2010
      My biggest problem has been conversion rates the recipes say they get 1.070-1.090sg and I get 1.020-1.030sg I don't get much alcohol from a 5 gal mash. So I have invested in a bigger pot and fermenter. I have done one 10 gal mash using flaked wheat I got 1.034sg but used an old turbo the yeast was dead and I got a bacteria in it while I was waiting for it to start I repitched it but too late. I had to throw it out.
      The sugar washes I have no problem with and I have been spending lots of time getting better reflux distilling and pot distilling rum and JUSSM.
      I have a grinder and some corn now and I and going to do a corn mash next week. I do have a question what recipe would you start with?

      Thanks Michael
    • Ric Cunningham

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 12, 2010
          Michael,

          Have you used the iodine test to see if you have starch remaining in your mash? It sure sounds like you must have a lot. You didn't say, but what are the sources of your enzymes to convert the starch to sugar? Many malts, especially barley malts, will provide the enzymes you need, and malted corn may provide enough enzymes to convert its own starches, but no more than that. When I'm concerned about conversion, I use bottled enzymes from my LHBS, and they work beautifully.

          Another critical pair of factors in enzyme-catalyzed conversion is temperature and time. 150F and 2 hours usually does a great job, but if you get it too hot, you "kill" your enzymes and get bad conversion. Too cold, and it converts very slowly.

          Compared to conversion, the importance of a particular grain recipe is minor; any of the common grains, in just about any ratios, will make a fine spirit, if you do your part. If you've got corn and a grinder, a pure corn whiskey is wonderful. With corn, adjust the grinder to just open up the kernel, and boil it to gelatinize the starch, then cool to 150F and add whatever enzymes you choose. You'll probably have to dilute your cooked corn so you can deal with that goop.

          If I were you, I'd stay away from turbo yeast if you want your whiskey to taste good. It's expensive and you don't need it, and much of it has artificial chickenshit (urea) in it. A good ale yeast (I like Danstar Nottinhham) does a fine job with a bit of yeast nutrient. Hell, right now, at 1.030 you could use baker's yeast. I keep all my yeasts in a baggie in the kitchen refrigerator, and they last a long time.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2010
            Mike,

            Listen to ZB. I think you would be well off to make sure the corn (that
            is dried and very hard) is cooked good and the starches are nicely
            gelatinized before mashing. Watch the mashing temp closely and dont go
            over about 165 F or so. An hour or 2 rest with towels wrapped around
            the pot should do the trick. Definitely use the iodine test to make
            sure all the starches have been converted.

            A nice recipe is about 6 parts corn, 2 parts rye (or wheat if you want a
            Maker's Mark style) and 2 parts good high disastatic barley malt (never
            hurts to add more barley malt).

            See Tony's section on this for the breakdown.

            JB.

            However, dont expect more then a 7 to 8% ABV fermentation, tis wise to
            invest in a larger boiler the way ZB did. Note: For higher yield, you
            can alwasys cheat and add some additional sugar prior to fermentation
            (Maltose or Dextrose (Glucose) is best). Just dont forget to save the
            backset for Sour Mash.

            <siscoweb@...> wrote:

            > My biggest problem has been conversion rates the recipes say they get
            1.070-1.090sg and I get 1.020-1.030sg I don't get much alcohol from a 5
            gal mash. So I have invested in a bigger pot and fermenter. I have done
            one 10 gal mash using flaked wheat I got 1.034sg but used an old turbo
            the yeast was dead and I got a bacteria in it while I was waiting for it
            to start I repitched it but too late. I had to throw it out.
            > The sugar washes I have no problem with and I have been spending lots
            of time getting better reflux distilling and pot distilling rum and
            JUSSM.
            > I have a grinder and some corn now and I and going to do a corn mash
            next week. I do have a question what recipe would you start with?

            > Thanks Michael

          • nancy pevnick
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2013
              Any ideas on where to get reasonable priced non gmo corn near St. Louis?
              Nancy
            • wzuccarello
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2013

                If you're going to distill the product of the corn I don't think it matters GMO or not. All the bad stuff is left behind in the boiler .

                ---In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, <npevnick@...> wrote:

                Any ideas on where to get reasonable priced non gmo corn near St. Louis?
                Nancy
              • RLB
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 12, 2013
                  Drive out of the city, and look for a a real feed store that sells bulk grains.  The bulk feed store in my area stocks 50 lbs bags of  whole corn, barley, rye, wheat, oats, and buckwheat.  I am malting grain to sell, and they do ask a lot of questions why I am buying a half a ton of grain.  You may want to purchase grain at different store.  Another way is to purchase grain directly from the farmer.