Re: Backsweeting - a wine question

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2010
      Jerry,

      I think Harry's #3 is the easiest way to go. Wine-making and home-brewing shops all stock "wine conditioner", a mixture of invert sugar for sweetening, and potassium sorbate to stop the fermentation. It's both easy and effective.

      No matter how much you rack, all it takes is one surviving yeast cell with an urge to reproduce and some sugar, and you risk bottle bombs.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      > Fermentation...it ain't over 'till it's over Jerry.
      >
      > Seriously I know bugger all about winemaking. But there's plenty on here who do. Our mod Jim is one. There's also a heap of books in the Library you could refer to. But at a guess I'd say you need to pasteurise your wine before bottling, to kill any yeasts, particularly if you've added a sweetener (sugar is a yeast food & growth item).
      >
      > I did a quick google and found this...
      >

      > How to Kill Wine Yeast
      > By Anna Roberts, eHow Contributor
      > updated: January 14, 2010
      >
      > Yeast is a necessary component in wine-making, but at a certain point, the yeast fermentation must be stopped. When fermentation is finished, some yeast still remains in the wine. If it is not killed before bottling, it can result in further fermentation, turning your hard work to vinegar, breaking bottles or blowing corks. There are four ways to kill the wine yeast to stop fermentation.
      >
      > Instructions.
      >
      > 1
      > Let the yeast starve. In this method, you simply let the yeast consume all of the sugar until there is nothing left to eat, at which point it simply starves. This will produce a dry wine. To get a sweet wine, stop fermentation sooner, before all the sugar has been converted. You may also sweeten the wine again after all the yeast is dead, without fear of restarting fermentation.
      >
      > 2
      > Heat the wine to 150 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. The yeast cannot survive this pasteurization process. Be aware that the cooking method of killing yeast can yield unpredictable changes to the taste of the wine.
      >
      > 3
      > Add sulfites or sorbates (usually Campden tablets and potassium sorbate) to the wine. This is how commercial wines are usually stabilized, but keep in mind that some people are allergic to sulfites. Use one crushed Campden tablet per gallon of wine. Use a half teaspoon of potassium sorbate per gallon of wine.
      >
      > 4
      > Let the alcohol kill the yeast. Yeast can only live in an environment with a certain amount of alcohol. Wine yeasts in particular can only survive up to about 6 or 8 percent alcohol.
      > .
      >
      > Read more: How to Kill Wine Yeast | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5867337_kill-wine-yeast.html#ixzz14vfAQUxM
      >

      > HTH
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry
      > http://distillers.tastylime.net

    • Jerry McCullough
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2010
        It looks to me that my question got answered in a high class way. I know what to do now.
        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 13, 2010
          Jerry,

          Could ya give us a clue which way your going to fix it? Just curious.

          JB.

          BTW Harry, ZB is also a well professed wine maker and even has his own
          little vinyard.. (and gave the same recommendation I did.)

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2010
            Kind words on the winemaking, Waldo, and it didn't even sound ornery,
            but I suspect you've got me hands-down on the wine making. I'm feel
            pretty secure making beer and the hard stuff, but sometimes wine just
            kicks my butt. As far as the vinyard goes, it's only about 100 vines,
            and this year it producd squat. although the cab francs are still
            ripening, when they should be all rain-busted by now.

            About 2/3 of the wine we drink is kits, and the other 1/3 is from our
            vines. Last year we did great for fruit, but this year just sucked.
            We've got mostly pinot noir, aurores, and cab francs, and the pinots
            consistently make the best wines.

            I've got to jump in for Harry; not only does he have all the knowledge,
            but he shares in such an orderly fashion. When I need something I've
            learned, it's always in my other pants, it seems.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simplepotstiller

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 23, 2010
              Little to late to fix the white zinfadel. Only have 3 bottles left. It actually went over quite well with my family and friends I gave it to.

              I have about 5 gallons of peach wine, that I am aging . Again the wine is a little sour for the audience that will drink it. I will back sweeten the peacxh wine, let it sit on an airlock until next june, then kill the yeast with a crushed campden tablet and bottle next july. Then I will wait and see what happens.

              Hope this answered your question.