RE: [new_distillers] Re: bicarb question

  • Glen - BetGear
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2010

      Hi,

      According to a post I’ve read somewhere (most likely home distiller), if you’re using bicarb, then it should be left in the low wines to infuse for 3-4 days before running through the still.

      Cheers

      Glen.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2010
        If you want ethyl acetate you add acetic acid (vinegar). It reacts with the ethyl alcohol. Vodka distillers also add bicarbonate I guess to neutralize any excess acid (?). But is ethyl acetate desirable?
        wal

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, justin webster <mail@...> wrote:

        > Hi chaps,
        > I've been googling but not finding much info on the effect of bicarb on the likes of rum and whiskey.
        > I understand the benefits with respect to ethyl acetate but should I be concerned about losing or ruining some of the more desirable flavours?
        >
        > and I'm still not quite sure about quantities - should I aim for a specific pH? does 6 sound right?
        > and if so - should I be adjusting with citric acid in order to get a specific quantity of bicarb in there?
        >
        > cheers,
        > justin

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2010
          Justin,

          Isobutyl propionate is one of the rum oils, and for the life of me, I can't find the other. Sorry.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller (evidently simpler than usual)

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2010
            Glen,

            That might be, but since the reactions are sped up at higher temperatures, I always figured most of what I want to happen will happen during heatup and distillation. Of course, I've been wrong before.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2010
              Another oily alcohol (not really an ester) is Furfural found in the
              tails that gives rum some if its flavor, according to some souces I have
              read.

              JB.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...>