Re: Calculating alcohol by packet measurements ?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2010

      There is a calculator in Tony's site at http://www.homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm

      This assumes a straight 51% conversion of sugar to alcohol, which is considered high by some distillers.

      If you look at http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm  this will give you some tables with different alcohol levels based on different calculations.  Sometimes its hard to say how much alcohol is converted without chemical analysis,  due to:

       "Potential Alcohol levels vary on the source. This is because the actual quantity of alcohol produced is dependant on the individual yeast strain and fermentation environment. Some sugar is also used by the yeast for growth and production of other compounds, and some alcohol escapes with the carbon dioxide produced during fermentation. The theoretical yield of alcohol from sugar due to alcoholic fermentation (glucose is converted by yeast to ethanol and carbon dioxide) is 51.1% by weight (65 %/volume). However, with these considerations it is closer to 47% by weight (59 %/volume). Jackisch notes that for "red grapes from hot areas" the yield is closer to 43% by weight (54 %/volume) (Modern Winemaking by Philip Jackisch, Cornell University Press, 1985)."