new member big hi from australia

  • babyboomer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2010
      hi first i like say hi to all , i am very new to this so wondering somone can advise. i wanting to distill lavandra to harvest the oil i have been looking at 2 units one is pot sytem and other is reflux sytem what are the advantages and disavanges of this and suitablity to the essential oils they are both stainless steel
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2010

        Hi Boomer,

        Love the name - lots of us around here (but we  getting old lol)..  For distilling fragrant oils and stuff, you dont want to go the refux route.  Reflux stills perform many distillations in a single run.

        What you want is a simple pot still with a small boiler.  Actually you can distill essence with just a tea kettle, some small diameter flexible copper tubing and a simple bucket condenser.

        You can read up on distilling theory and see all kinds of designs on Tony's Homedistiller's site at http://www.homedistiller.org/  Read thru the intro and theory/design sections and come back with any answers.

        Welcome aboard and good luck.

        JB aka Waldo.

        Note- if ya need any good rum recipes in the future, we could help also ROTF>  ;)