whirlpool clearing of wash

  • Pete H
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 27, 2010
      My simple washes - sugar and yeast, are always cloudy on completion of fermentation. Has anyone on this list experimented with "whirlpooling"?

      It is a very easy process to start and maintain a whirlpool, but I was hoping some-one may have tried it and has some result to report.

      My thinking, for extended whirlpooling (say 5 to 10 minutes) is to use a fishpond pump, then let the wash settle before drawing (or pumping) off the clarified wash.

      I'm also thinking that a fermenter with a bowl shaped 'trap" in the bottom would assist in capturing the trub/lees.

      All comments welcome.
    • Christopher Bedwell
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 27, 2010
        Just buy some finings from the hbs... Cheap and effective for my sugar washes that I use to make neutral...

        - chris

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 28/10/2010, at 8:47 AM, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

        My simple washes - sugar and yeast, are always cloudy on completion of fermentation. Has anyone on this list experimented with "whirlpooling"?

        It is a very easy process to start and maintain a whirlpool, but I was hoping some-one may have tried it and has some result to report.

        My thinking, for extended whirlpooling (say 5 to 10 minutes) is to use a fishpond pump, then let the wash settle before drawing (or pumping) off the clarified wash.

        I'm also thinking that a fermenter with a bowl shaped 'trap" in the bottom would assist in capturing the trub/lees.

        All comments welcome.

      • Ed Barcik
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010

          I've been very successful with alum.

        • Pete H
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
            Care to expand?

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

            > I've been very successful with alum.

          • mav
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

              > My simple washes - sugar and yeast, are always cloudy on completion of fermentation. Has anyone on this list experimented with "whirlpooling"?
              >
              > It is a very easy process to start and maintain a whirlpool, but I was hoping some-one may have tried it and has some result to report.
              >
              > My thinking, for extended whirlpooling (say 5 to 10 minutes) is to use a fishpond pump, then let the wash settle before drawing (or pumping) off the clarified wash.
              >
              > I'm also thinking that a fermenter with a bowl shaped 'trap" in the bottom would assist in capturing the trub/lees.
              >
              > All comments welcome.

              Hi Pete, if your serious about separating yeast/ debris quickly from the wash and got some dollars to spare, this is the web site for you;) You can do the DIY if dollars are short. Some guy's have similar unit from wood lathes as well.

              http://www.absolutecentrifuge.com/

              Finings work ok with secondary racking if you have time on your side. Or use Harry's suggestion by making space in the fridge for your wash vessel to drop the yeast in a cold chill filtering concept.

              What you decide on will be dictated by need and affordability. In my case, I have more time than money so you can guess what technique I use. It's only a hobby for me but I depend on good results!!

              Cheers
              Marc
            • Ed Barcik
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010

                After ferment has stopped, I stir in a little alum, grocery store item and as long as it isn't too acidic, the stuff settles out in a day, I'm putting half a teaspoon in 30 gallons if that gives you any idea.

              • Ed Barcik
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010

                  I've also used these with very good luck although a little messy.

                  http://www.biodieselbarn.com/FilterBags.html

                • d cox
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
                    FYI: http://www.ochef.com/1080.htm

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 30, 2010

                      Regarding, FYI: http://www.ochef.com/1080.htm

                      You're not eating it, only settling the wash, it winds up in the sludge at the bottom. They also use it to clear water in treatment plants.

                    • just me
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 30, 2010
                        I am usually well pickled by the end of the liquid.Sorry I couldn't resist.
                        Just Me
                        ...all I ask is a tall shipÂ…and a load of contraband to fill her with...
                      • Pete H
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                          Thanks for the link Mav.

                          I have plenty of time on my hands but a lack of change in my pockets.
                          Using the fridge to clarify a beer ferment works a treat, but the poor old fridge can only accommodate either 2 post mix kegs (19ltrs each) or one 25 ltr fermenter. I prefer to have cold beer on tap. ;^)