Re: Essence reviews

  • edbar44
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2010
      > I'd like to start a thread on reviews of essences. What are your favorites and which ones don't you like. Do you use filter or do anything else to your neutral spirit?
      >
      > I charcoal filter all neutral spirit.
      >
      > Like alot:
      >
      > Prestige Bombay Gin - Tried original Sapphire and Prestige, and commercial Sapphire had harshness compared to Prestige essence which I prefer.
      > Prestige Black Sambuca (Incredible. Prefer to use 100g sugar instead of 160g)
      > Prestige Ouzo
      > Prestige Anisette
      > Prestige Irish Cream. Friends have said they like it better then Bailey's.
      >
      > I tend to use less sugar then recommended on essences that require it.
      >
      > Dislike:
      >
      > Prestige Gold Tequila. No bite and sweet? Doesn't taste like tequila.

      I filter my neutral 3 times through charcoal even though it isn't bad right out of the still.

      I've tried quite a few of those essences and agree with what you have to say about the tequila, doesn't taste at all like the real stuff.

      I also agree with the amount of sugar, some of the stuff uses way too much, had to cut it down on many essences.

      I've used the Prestige Marshmallow Banana and it's quite good, only for my girls, not me.
      Prestige Lemon Vodka not bad, good lemon flavor.
      Prestige Cherry Vodka, again not bad but I only drink clear so it's all for the girls and that's the feedback I get from them.
      Prestige Bombay Gin, not good, could say it sucks.
      Prestige Swiss Chocolate Almond Flavoring Essence, excellent
      Prestige Citron Vodka Flavoring Essence, OK but kind of mild
      Prestige Triple Sec Flavoring Essence, very good product, never able to get it clear, too much sugar so it's cloudy.
      Prestige Vanilla Vodka, pretty good, the double vanilla is much better.
      Sliwovitz isn't good.
      Pear Vodka does not taste like pear
      Strawberry cream is excellent

      I make my own Bailey's, easy and cheap, the recipe is in one of the forums.