Corn Flakes

  • Royce Thigpen
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2010
      Please, someone remind me how to process cornflakes correctly.  I know I have been told at least once.  My corn supply got buggy (I realized today when I was going to crack some) and I need a substitute until I can replenish.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010

        Royce,

        You chose the same title for this Thread that goes back to 2003 and is where I got my recipe from.  Read thru all the entries below this message and will give you the same ideas.  While they mention adding amalyase enzymes to the corn flakes, this is not really necessary if your adding sugar.  Just remember to crush them up using a food processor, or potato masher and dont over-cook - just let sit in hot water for about 40 minutes to an hour.

        You can also read the first message I sent to you on this when you joined ;).

        JB.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010
          I new I had seen that recipe at some point.  I couldn't  find it yesterday when I was looking.  They are just starting to pick corn around home, so it will be a while before I can stop the farmers to get some.  In using the backset for the second wash, do you add more flakes to the wash?

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010
            While the UJSSM says to keep some of the old corn using cracked corn,
            with corn flakes, I just use about 35 to 40% of the backset and start
            with all new corn and sugar.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010
              That should be simple enough.  I am going to retire sometime soon and devote more time to putting stuff I want to save in a place I can go back and find it.  Thanks.

              ymailto="mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com">new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

              href="mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com">new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Royce Thigpen fireside58@