Re: Take-off and Reflux valves

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1 8:26 PM

      Comments inline...

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

      > Harry,
      >
      > My Nixon Stone type head and column regularly produces up to 95.6%abv depending on where at the miniscus I take the reading ;^)

      ...Readings should always be taken at the bottom of the meniscus.

      > Given that it may be "old" technology, but that without vacuum processing the abv is difficult to improve, how might a "vapour management" still serve me better.

      ...My reference to 'inefficiency' has nothing to do with output strength capability.  VM is just a much better way to do things.  Given that vapors are hundreds of times larger in volume than the equivalent condensed liquid, VM makes purity adjustments way easier and far less likely to error.  Mike Nixon's book "The Compleat Distiller" explains it in detail.  Many internet sites now have lots of info on VM stills.

      > Can you give me examples of Vm stills?

      There's lots out there.

      This is the basic design concept of VM...

      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/468252/sn/1173979616/name/vm-basic.jpg

      Marc (mavnkaf) has built a slight variation of one of my designs...

      thepatchworkdoll has another...

      063B

      > I'm keen for info Harry, and trawling for it is sometimes a dreary drawn out process hence my questions to this forum here where I believe minds learn-ed in this subject will share.
      >
      > Tks in advance.

      ...Dreary or not, trawling for info and hands-on experience are the best teachers.  Gotta break eggs to make omelettes.  ;)

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1 8:40 PM

        Hmmm...basic concept pic didn't show...here 'tis again (hopefully)...

        vm-basic