Re: Take-off and Reflux valves

  • Pete H
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
      Harry,

      My Nixon Stone type head and column regularly produces up to 95.6%abv depending on where at the miniscus I take the reading ;^)

      Given that it may be "old" technology, but that without vacuum processing the abv is difficult to improve, how might a "vapour management" still serve me better. Can you give me examples of Vm stills?

      I'm keen for info Harry, and trawling for it is sometimes a dreary drawn out process hence my questions to this forum here where I believe minds learn-ed in this subject will share.

      Tks in advance.

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thursty2" <thursty2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've seen a lot of reflux column designs that have both a product Take-off valve, -and- a Reflux valve which controls the return to the column of condensation that will be refluxed.
      > >
      > > I'm missing something here.
      > >
      > > Using AngryMike99's pic of the Take-off and Reflux valves as an example, what is the point in having both?
      > >
      > > If the product Take-off valve is set to release say 20% of the condensation, then the other 80% would automatically run back down the column after filling the small well in the T piece, yes - no?
      > >
      > > The Nixon-Stone type head uses a bend with only one valve. Any product not taken out through this valve, automatically runs back down the column.
      > >
      > > I have also seen AngryMike's head type (T piece instead of bend) where the reflux pipe comes out the bottom of the T and is bent back into the column - without a valve fitted, so any excess condensation freeflows back into the column. This appears to be just a variation - maybe a bend was unavailable - to the Nixon-Stone type setup.
      > >
      > > Any clues?
      > >

      > You are correct. In an LM setup, only 1 bleed valve is necessary.
      > Mike's Liquid Management setup was posted 5 years ago, and looks to be a carry-on from previous LM designs (world class still) which were over-engineered and subsequently found to be somewhat inefficient.
      >
      > However it was due to continual building and investigation by many members that we are now at the point where Vapor Management (VM) stills have proven superior for neutral spirits production. So I expect LM type stills like Nixon-Stone, PDA-1 & Bokakob slant plate to slowly fade away. But they do have an important place in hobby still development history.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • Tampagamer
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010

        Any true good recipes as I got a bottle of this from Cuba and loved it and nothing sold that has compared in the USA

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010

          Comments inline...

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete H" <thursty2@...> wrote:

          > Harry,
          >
          > My Nixon Stone type head and column regularly produces up to 95.6%abv depending on where at the miniscus I take the reading ;^)

          ...Readings should always be taken at the bottom of the meniscus.

          > Given that it may be "old" technology, but that without vacuum processing the abv is difficult to improve, how might a "vapour management" still serve me better.

          ...My reference to 'inefficiency' has nothing to do with output strength capability.  VM is just a much better way to do things.  Given that vapors are hundreds of times larger in volume than the equivalent condensed liquid, VM makes purity adjustments way easier and far less likely to error.  Mike Nixon's book "The Compleat Distiller" explains it in detail.  Many internet sites now have lots of info on VM stills.

          > Can you give me examples of Vm stills?

          There's lots out there.

          This is the basic design concept of VM...

          http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/468252/sn/1173979616/name/vm-basic.jpg

          Marc (mavnkaf) has built a slight variation of one of my designs...

          thepatchworkdoll has another...

          063B

          > I'm keen for info Harry, and trawling for it is sometimes a dreary drawn out process hence my questions to this forum here where I believe minds learn-ed in this subject will share.
          >
          > Tks in advance.

          ...Dreary or not, trawling for info and hands-on experience are the best teachers.  Gotta break eggs to make omelettes.  ;)

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010

            Hmmm...basic concept pic didn't show...here 'tis again (hopefully)...

            vm-basic