Re: Flake vs Corn

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 30 3:01 PM
      Royce,

      You're pretty close in principle. The numbers that I happen to have in
      my head are for the beer I make most, a kickass (1088) malty strong
      Scotch ale, higher in ABV and UN-converted dextrins for sweetness and
      mouthfeel, so they may be a bit different from what you would want in a
      beer, and certainly in a whisky.

      First I raise 6.5 gallons of water to a temperature calculated to give
      me a final, total, temperature of 155F after the 18 pounds of grain are
      added. There's a calculation for this starting watre temps, and I'm
      looking at changing it, so I won't give you a number. With my setup, I
      can adjust that final temp anyway.

      I stir thoroughly, and wrap a couple of towels around the kettle, and
      let it stand for 75 minutes, stirring a couple of times more. The I
      sparge, running 175F water in the top of the grainbed, to kill the
      enzymes, while drawing the sweet wort out the bottom, kinda rinsing all
      the sugars out of the grain. I collect 7 gallons, and then do the "beer
      boil" for about an hour, which brings me to about 6 gallons, which I
      chill, aerate, and pitch yeast.

      That slightly higher mash-in temp of 155F is designed to impair the
      starch conversion a small, calculated, amount, to leave some
      unfermentable malto-dextrins for flavor and mouthfeel.

      Every brewer, and malt whisky maker, will use some variant of this same
      process, but we're all trying to accomplish our versions of the same
      thing.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Royce Thigpen <fireside58@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks for the info. I have wanted to make beer anyway, so I
      guess if you can
      > do one you can do the other. I would assume then that if you do
      an all barley
      > mash, it would be somewhere around 10 pounds of barley to 5
      gallons of water.Â
      > Heat the water to 150 degreee add barley for an hour or so.Â
      Correct. JB has