Re: Instead of malted barley

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

      Again,

      Depends...  If your using flaked maize (corn) and mashing with malted barley or enzymes (remember, corn flakes contain malt flavor) versus using sugars instead of conversion of the starches.

      Corn Flakes contain about 3 percent moisture, while cracked corn contains over 6 percent moisture.  Also corn Flakes contain less sugar and more starch then flaked maize - 10.5 percent sugars and 68% starch versus 21 percent sugars and 25 percent starch for dried yellow Northen plains Indian corn.  See:  http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

      While I have never tried mashing corn Flakes with the BA or GA - 100 enzymes, might want to give it a try and only use about 7 lbs. of corn flakes per 6 gallons water with the enzymes,  or try 5 lbs of corn flakes with about 7 lbs of sugar per 5 gallons water  going the UJSSM method.

      Now dont quote me on these quantities - just figures from my head for the first "sweet mash".  It really depends on how much corn flavors you want - remember, the more sour mashing you do, the less added corn you will need during the following "sour mashes" with backset and trub ;);).

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

        > Again,
        >
        > Depends... If your using flaked maize (corn) and mashing with malted
        > barley or enzymes (remember, corn flakes contain malt flavor) versus
        > using sugars instead of conversion of the starches.
        snip___

        > Now dont quote me on these quantities - just figures from my head for
        > the first "sweet mash". It really depends on how much corn flavors you
        > want - remember, the more sour mashing you do, the less added corn you
        > will need during the following "sour mashes" with backset and trub [;)]
        > [;)] .

        Needed  to say:

        the less corn you will need to add with sour mashing using sugars instead of enzymes to convert starches...  If your going full grain method, you will still need same amounts of corn to get to the 7 percent or so ABV for starch conversion.

        JB.

      • *
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Again,
          > >
          > > Depends... If your using flaked maize (corn) and mashing with malted
          > > barley or enzymes (remember, corn flakes contain malt flavor) versus
          > > using sugars instead of conversion of the starches.
          > snip___
          >
          > > Now dont quote me on these quantities - just figures from my head for
          > > the first "sweet mash". It really depends on how much corn flavors you
          > > want - remember, the more sour mashing you do, the less added corn you
          > > will need during the following "sour mashes" with backset and trub
          > [;)]
          > > [;)] .
          >

          > Needed to say:
          >
          > the less corn you will need to add with sour mashing using sugars
          > instead of enzymes to convert starches... If your going full grain
          > method, you will still need same amounts of corn to get to the 7 percent
          > or so ABV for starch conversion.
          >
          > JB.

          i plan on all grain with ba and ga-100. ill substitute in a couple boxes of Corn Flakes along with the flaked maize and flaked wheat and barley
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

            Go fur it....  B-)

            JB.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:
            > i plan on all grain with ba and ga-100. ill substitute in a couple boxes of Corn Flakes along with the flaked maize and flaked wheat and barley

          • Tampagamer
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

              if i were to use enzymes Instead of malted barley in a whisky bill say like a Makers Mark clone. corn, wheat. will i be taking away from the flavor profile without the barley?

              Brewing the wart is a more of an art to a science as even brewing temperatures can give a slight variation and much more so alterations in grain so yes removing the Barley will alter the taste