ABV to Dilution calculation

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2010
      Hi Harry or anyone,
      I'm at the Alchemy thing again. I still have the green walnuts, well dark brown now, left over in 2 x 2litre sealed mason jars and I noticed that about half an inch of very brown 60% abv from my original Vin de Noix recipe maceration had settled out to the bottom of both the jars. So I've added a litre of 40% abv (need to do another couple of sugar washes, that's all my hooch gone now) to each of the jars and it's still extracting loads of walnut flavour. So I'll give it another 2 months to the start of December and add 12 litre of 12% abv of cheap White wine then a kilo of sugar. I know it's going to be more than 12% abv but less than 40% abv but what?
      So I'm back to the same question that you Harry solved for me last time. I have you last email printed out but I just can't follow it, it's no good Harry it just wont gel.
      I know what you're going to say Harry just follow the calculation that you sent, but I get just so far into it and you say it can be a complicated problem. Then suddenly "Bling" you say that would make it 18% abv. How you got there is a mystery to me.
      So based on the information given can you do a "Bling" solution again for this not so mentally agile Paddy?
      Or even a downloadable calculator would be good then I wouldn't have to keep hassling you
      Geoff
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi Harry or anyone,
        > I'm at the Alchemy thing again. I still have the green walnuts, well dark brown now, left over in 2 x 2litre sealed mason jars and I noticed that about half an inch of very brown 60% abv from my original Vin de Noix recipe maceration had settled out to the bottom of both the jars. So I've added a litre of 40% abv (need to do another couple of sugar washes, that's all my hooch gone now) to each of the jars and it's still extracting loads of walnut flavour. So I'll give it another 2 months to the start of December and add 12 litre of 12% abv of cheap White wine then a kilo of sugar. I know it's going to be more than 12% abv but less than 40% abv but what?
        > So I'm back to the same question that you Harry solved for me last time. I have you last email printed out but I just can't follow it, it's no good Harry it just wont gel.
        > I know what you're going to say Harry just follow the calculation that you sent, but I get just so far into it and you say it can be a complicated problem. Then suddenly "Bling" you say that would make it 18% abv. How you got there is a mystery to me.
        > So based on the information given can you do a "Bling" solution again for this not so mentally agile Paddy?
        > Or even a downloadable calculator would be good then I wouldn't have to keep hassling you
        > Geoff

        All you need do is figure the total liquid volume and the total pure alc. volume. Then it's a simple sum...

        12% of 12L = 1.44L alc.
        60% of 2L = 1.2L alc.
        Total alc. = 2.64L
        Measure your total final liquid...TFL... (with all sugar dissolved)...
        Final percentage is... 2.64 / TFL X 100

        Example: Let's say you end up with 14.5L TFL
        2.64 / 14.5 X 100 = 18.2%
        Yield is 14.5L @ 18.2% abv

      • geoff burrows
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2010
          Hi Harry,
               Thanks, right I got it now.  Gota' remember to "read" not skim over your posts.  That's so simple when you grab my nose ring and lead me through it, (couldn't see the forest because of all the trees in the way)a real keeper for me anyway.  Thanks again Harry
          Geoff