Re: brandy of a different color

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2010
      Jerry,

      I'm guessing that for you, like for me, fruit to ferment comes in small
      enough batches that you won't get gallons and gallons of brandy. That's
      why I often single-distill fruit brandies, also to maximize those
      delicate flavors. I'd recommend running slowly, collecting your
      distillate in small containers (carefully labeled with head temp range
      and ABV range, if you can), which you later (a day or 2) test by
      diluting a sample to drinking strength (the same strength for all
      samples) and sniffing/tasting.

      Whatever tastes good, put in your brandy; whatever doesn't taste good,
      put in your feints.

      You can drink a good fruit brandy white, or you can age it. Either way
      is good.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...>
      wrote:

      > A few months back, I sought advice from the group on using locally
      available peaches for wine and brandy. I got good advice and some
      instructions on how to go about getting the peaches prepared.

      > I fermented, in my novice opinion, some good to great peach wine. I am
      going to age some as wine. The rest I want to distill into brandy using
      a pot still.

      > I have never tried this before. I was wondering if there might be some
      tricks of the trade that would be helpful. Are there any pitfalls I need
      to avoid? Any advice is appreciated.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2010
        Jerry,

        Not much to add to the inputs ZB made. Just keep it slow and instead of
        water, you might try using some of your peach wine to dilute with for
        added flavor. Good to hear the wine was a sucess.

        JB.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2010
          Sidenote:

          Wait till the wine to totally clarify before trying this.

          JB.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@...>