Re: brandy?

  • geoff burrows
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
      Hi Bob,
       I've read your post but I'll get into the meat of it, if and when I get the grapes but  thanks for your information and feed back as well.
             I was brought on the old British Imperial system at school, ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweights,(cwts), tons, and inches, links, feet, yards, rod pole or perch,(not often used even then), chains, furlongs, miles, etc.
           I've always used this Imperial to Metric convertor rhyme "Two and a quarter pounds of jam weighs about a kilogram" and everyone should know one litre of clean clear water weighs exactly one kilogram and then do your guesstimations from there
      Geoff
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
        Ah,

        Then those grapes are probably an older varietal type that was destroyed
        during the French wine blight around 1863 that killed off a large part
        of the vineyards and ruined the wine industry. Over 40% of the
        vineyards were destroyed during a 10 year period. Yes, the solution was
        to graft the remaining grapes onto aphid-resistant American vines.

        Now as far as alternatives to a wine press, you could go the traditional
        route and advertise for a couple of young ladies (I have heard virgins
        do best) and put the grapes in a trough and have the ladies stomp on
        them with their bare feet. Other then that, the old drill and paint
        paddle along with the 5 gallon strainer bag should work.

        Now as far as the brandy goes, I wouldn't use your first run stuff for
        it. Let it age as a wine. However, you have the option of taking the
        grape pomace from your squeezing and reconstitue it with water and
        sugar, then referment to make some nice Grappa if you want. There are
        many recipes in the archives.

        JB.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows"
        <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jim,
        > Thanks for the recipes if the wine tastes good I'm afraid it won't get
        as far as Brandy
        > Geoff

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
          Geoff,

          I was brought up in conflict. All around me, in the US, were corns, inches, feet, yards, ounces (both Troy and Averdupois), US gallons, furlongs, firkins, and all that stuff, but when I studied the sciences, it was all metric (later to become SI). Because we humans are rational beings, I knew it was only a matter of a short time before the US was all metric. After all, we already had decimal money, so we were halfway there.

          And you know how that worked out. :(

          About the same time I was learning that "conventional" current flow, positive to negative, was all a mistake (by Benjamin Franklin), and as soon as we got our wits about us, we'd all agree that real electricity, in the form of electrons, flows from negative to positive. Then we'd be all sorted out.

          I carried that vanity around with me for decades, but when I went back to school for an electrical engineering degree, they said, "We don't care about the facts - current flows from positive to negative".

          So now, mostly, I just shut up and try to use whatever units fall to hand.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller