Re: solder question

  • krp20042003
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
      Rainero, thanks for the help. The solder that I found was Alpha Fry Flow Temp Lead Free Silver Bearing Solid Wire. I contacted the manufacturer and they said that it was 96% tin 3.9% copper 0.1% silver. So I think that I am good to go. Thanks again.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rainero Morgia <raineromorgia@...> wrote:

      > yup..any  silver  bearing  solder  is  safe  to  use.  am  not  sure  what  type  of  alpha fry  you  have  but  in  your  product  package  it  should  clearly  show  whether  it  is  lead  free  or  not...so  there  is  no  need  for  MSDS... for  your  info  alpha fry flo temp  is  lead  free,  alpha specialty solder  is  lead  free,  but  alpha fry electrical repair is not lead free. to make  sure  ask  also your  supplier  about  product details.  with regards  to  your  tin, copper, silver and bismuth  inquiry previously,  looks  like this is lead free.

    • Al Wells
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
        What you want is a silver brazing material labeled BAg7. This is a
        food grade silver brazing alloy with good working characteristics.
      • daryl_bee
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2010
          In past I've used Silfos 15 with no apparent issues
          http://www.silfos.com/products/catalog/Sil-Fos-15-orderby0-p-1-c-62.html
          You need a torch though as it melts at 1190F and flows at 1475F. Most welding stores have it. Silver 15%, Copper 80%, Phos 5%. It can fill moderate gaps too.