joining copper and SS

  • Slingshot
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
      I have built and used a reflux still with great sucess. I am noticing a leak between my column (copper) and my pot (SS). When I built it originally, I had no leaks, but frequent assembly and disassembly has weakened tht joint. I used lead-free solder, but am having troubled re-sealing it. What is the best method to join copper and SS?
    • Ric Cunningham
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
        The best method for joining and SS is to silver braze. This uses a higher heat that tin solder and requires silver solder material. Oxy acetylene is use to heat the joint. This is used very commonly for refrigeration systems, so if you know someone that does refrigeration work they may be able to help you out.

        On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Slingshot <slange22@...> wrote:

        I have built and used a reflux still with great sucess. I am noticing a leak between my column (copper) and my pot (SS). When I built it originally, I had no leaks, but frequent assembly and disassembly has weakened tht joint. I used lead-free solder, but am having troubled re-sealing it. What is the best method to join copper and SS?

      • Steve Lange
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
          just my luck! I know a refrigeration guy AND several welders. I will pretty-up the joint and seek the guys who know best.
          Thanks