G'day

  • rob.swift1
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2010
      I'm looking at making the bokabob ministill. I'm not really a drinker more into it to build the still and do a few batches, then probably give it away to a work mate. Does it make much difference if i use 304 or 316 stainless? To me it looks like the 316 is the better option but i can get 304 cheaper/easier.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2010
        Hi Rob,

        What exactly are you planning on using the SS for? ie. which part of
        the boka?

        You dont need to worry about corrosion with what we make with stainless
        - either 304 or 316.

        JB.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rob.swift1" <rob.swift1@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2010
          All the column will be SS with copper condesor coil and copper alcohl outlet. Probably try and get copper mesh as well but haven't got price and availability yet might be SS scrubers to start with. The SS pipe i have got is 2" id but about 1/4" thick walled. I imagine this will take a while to warm up but it's free.

          Any thoughts?

          > Hi Rob,
          >
          > What exactly are you planning on using the SS for? ie. which part of
          > the boka?
          >
          > You dont need to worry about corrosion with what we make with stainless
          > - either 304 or 316.
          >
          > JB.

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
            I have since been looking around and got some 2" copper tube from a recylcing place. I'm thinking that it will be a lot easier to work with. Lots of the stills i've seen around the net are made of copper and i didn't find anything about the material thickness.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rob.swift1" <rob.swift1@...> wrote:

            > All the column will be SS with copper condesor coil and copper alcohl outlet. Probably try and get copper mesh as well but haven't got price and availability yet might be SS scrubers to start with. The SS pipe i have got is 2" id but about 1/4" thick walled. I imagine this will take a while to warm up but it's free.
            >
            > Any thoughts?
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi Rob,
            > >
            > > What exactly are you planning on using the SS for? ie. which part of
            > > the boka?
            > >
            > > You dont need to worry about corrosion with what we make with stainless
            > > - either 304 or 316.
            > >
            > > JB.

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
              Rob, For the last maybe 7 or 8 years, all the still heads I've built used 2" (nominal, US) copper pipe, at least coming out of the boiler. I've used it on stills with boilers form 3 gallons to 16 gallons, and it's worked just fine. Look here  for any kind of copper pipe fittings you can think of. There may be some difference in wall thickness  for some copper pipe, but that shouldn't affect us at all.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller