Re: [new_distillers] Re: condenser design

  • goodyear1952
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 20 2:07 PM
      Progress report on new condenser. I have unpacked my column and running a full 3000watts for a strip and it handling it with ease with the outlet pipe still cold and absolutely no vapour to feed the angles....BTW to crimp your inner tube use vice grips set to a 7mm gap works a treat...Cheers Ken Mc

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 20 3:10 PM

        Just a point that is important to consider with a liebig is that to get the maximum trubulence with crimped inner tube is to mount it vertically not at an angle see this thread from Artisans... http://tinyurl.com/2avmq92
        cheers ken

        http://tinyurl.com/2avmq92From: goodyear1952 <goodyear1952@...>

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 20 6:20 PM

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, goodyear1952 <goodyear1952@...> wrote:

          > Just a point that is important to consider with a liebig is that to get the
          > maximum trubulence with crimped inner tube is to mount it vertically not at an
          > angle see this thread from Artisans... http://tinyurl.com/2avmq92
          > cheers ken
          >

          > ________________________________
          > http://tinyurl.com/2avmq92From: goodyear1952 goodyear1952@...

          Thanks for the update Ken.  Let us know what you think about the overall improvement.

          Yes in that thread mentioned above, you'll note there was some discussion about whether turbulators were useful, or just a 'placebo'.

          Maybe this will convince the 'doubting Thomases'.

          ALCO Turbulators

          ALCO utilizes turbulators to improve the performance of new and existing Multi-Tube Hairpin Exchangers and Shell & Tube Exchangers. Turbulators are twisted tape static mixers installed in the exchanger tubes.

          Turbulators Benefits & Features

          • Improved overall Heat Transfer Rate. Heat Transfer Coefficients improve approximately three to five times than that of open tubes.
          • Economical way to upgrade performance of an existing exchanger.
          • Reduce the required size of new exchanger.
          • Converts laminar flow to turbulent flow.
          • Continuous self-cleaning swirling motion reduces fouling, film build-up, and costly downtime.
          • Constant mixing keeps fluid at a uniform temperature, reducing gradients which may lead to thermal breakdown.
          • Easy to install and remove.
          • No moving parts.
          • Available in most metallurgies.

          Source: http://www.alcotwin.com/turbulators.html

        • goodyear1952
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 20 10:53 PM

            > Just a point that is important to consider with a liebig is that to get the
            > maximum trubulence with crimped inner tube is to mount it vertically not at an
            > angle see this thread from Artisans... http://tinyurl.com/2avmq92
            > cheers ken

            > http://tinyurl.com/2avmq92From: goodyear1952 goodyear1952@...

            Harry...Totally rapt with the performance the strip was over in under 3 hours wo to go and stopped at 5%Abv and 99.5Deg C at the head and due to the speed the strip was much cleaner than normal which I assume is due to tha rapid and vigorous boiling and no chance of anything catching....column in packed and strip cut and nowup to the boil and running at 1500watts  in full reflux to stabalise and will open up foreshots and heads  in about half an hour. Yes as you suggest turbulators would work equally as well and as you know my cold tip condenser at the head of my still gives great control  due to the turbulence  created by the water jacket and through pipes and am sold on the concept of inducing turbulence.....Ken