Pictures

  • Royce Thigpen
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 15, 2010
    JB, here are a couple of pictures of the kettle.  Rag on top is due to small seepage, needs a new gasket.  Suggestions??

  • Ed Barcik
    Message 2 of 21 , Aug 16, 2010

      Can't believe you're using propane inside, I tried it once, almost killed me.

    • Royce Thigpen
      Message 3 of 21 , Aug 16, 2010
        Believe me, it is well ventilated.

        Message 4 of 21 , Aug 16, 2010
          Have you not heard of propane stoves, fridges, and water heaters, not to
          mention lights?

          Properly adjusted, propane is very clean burning. My CO detector doesn't
          complain a bit. It did with the kerosene heater.

          Steve Spence
          Renewable energy and self sufficiency
          http://www.green-trust.org
          http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com/

          On 08/16/2010 09:41 AM, Ed Barcik wrote:

          > Can't believe you're using propane inside, I tried it once, almost
          > killed me.

        • just me
          Message 5 of 21 , Aug 16, 2010
            Royce,
            Your rig looks good.I would use glass for collecting.
            Just Me
            "Monster trucks are for people who don't understand wrestling"
              - Red Green
          • Royce Thigpen
            Message 6 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
              I use jars for collecting.  This cup is to collect the foreshots I discard.  Hadn't even looked at that.

              Message 7 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010

                Hi Royce,

                Couple of things here.  First, after looking at your picture and mentioning a small seepage, that rag wrapped around a still and a propane burner underneath is not a pretty one.  Ethanol vapors are heavier than air, and as if escaped, have been known to creap along a lab bench till they catch fire and explode.  A few liters of 80 percent ethanol vapors in an enclosed space can have the power of a 1/2 stick of dynamite or more, as Harry has mentioned more then a few times.  While gas burners, refigerators and heaters are used in houses, as someone mentioned, high ABV ethanol vapors are not usually present.  Proper ventilation would include a high powered fan at least blowing any vapors to the outside.  A simple rag is not air tight.  You might just be more then feeding the angels, you might become one.

                The first thing I would do is find out where the seepage is by running a water distillation and then using a sprayer with some liquid soap and water in it, spray around the edges and watch for bubbles.  Then if its around the rim of your cover, you can make a silicone seal (many postings regarding this), or use the traditional approach of a flour/water based paste around the edges which hardens and becomes air tight.  Other things I have used sucessfully are plumbers putty and JB weld epoxy for small leaks.  Also, to keep the cover tight, I would get a bungy cord and wrap it around the handles and over the top to keep the cover on securely.  Better to be safe the sorry.

                Enough sermon. Now regarding your high ABV in the your distillations, that horizontal lyne arme in your picture explains it all.  I mentioned this in an earlier posting I made.  Vapors will collect along the verticle part and cause internal reflux.  My first design was just like yours and made 150 to 160 proof during a 12% distillation first run.  When I took the horizontal part off and too a 45 degree connector and brough it down to the condenser, the ABV dropped to 120 proof as in the third design below...  Read Below and study http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#make_pot

                Good luck and be safe.

                JB.

                PS> finally, I would clean up that mess in your distillation area, If it were me, after tasting the 2nd or 3rd cuts, I would be tripping over everything and probably knock over the damn still ;).....

                Pot Still Designs

                There don't seem to be many instructions around for how to build pot stills. I guess this could be because there are just so many ways, and it really depends on what you have available to you. One factor to consider is the angle of the lyne arm. Even with a pot still you get a little bit of vapour condensing on the head & arm, and running back down into the pot as a bit of reflux. Depending on how much internal reflux is going on, the flavour will vary. An upward sloping arm will cause much to run back into the pot, thus cleaning & lightening the vapour more, whereas a downward sloping arm will send all the vapour towards the jar, and you'll collect a heavier flavour. See my Photos of Distilleries and Photos of Stills sold commercially pages to see what variations in this are around in commercial distilleries, and Portugese Copper Alambics and Alquitars. Some also have a bulge in the head. This constriction then expansion causes some of the vapour to drop out, and again increases the reflux, and lightens the spirit.

                DSC00152

                Message 8 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
                  Actually, the area in front of the pot is clear.  All the way to the door.  Just the backside is junky.  Now on the design, I used the longer lyne arm just for the purpose of getting the liquid and vapor away from the burner.  I guess I could come off closer to the riser with a 45 degree fitting and then gently roll the arm out away from the burner.  That might work better.  What you think??

> [...]

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Royce Thigpen <fireside58@...> wrote:

                  > JB, here are a couple of pictures of the kettle. Rag on top is due to small
                  > seepage, needs a new gasket. Suggestions??

                • Tampagamer
                  Message 9 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010

                    Do not throw away the fore shot or after shots but instead save then till you got enough to redistill and as the heads and tails are at least  90% good alcohol so you will be able to distill them again and get a good batch but this time throw away the heads and the tails

                    I use jars for collecting.  This cup is to collect the foreshots I discard.  Hadn't even looked at that.

                    Message 10 of 21 , Aug 17, 2010
                      As long as its air tight with no leaks, it can come down near the
                      burner. If you look at your horizontal lyne arm, theres a bit of a dip
                      in it. What I ment to say is that as the still is heating up, vapors
                      will condense along this horizontal section and it tends to act similar
                      to a doubler, giving a higher ABV at the start of a distillation.

                      From the looks of it, your using flexible tubing so you could probably
                      move the still further from the condenser and just bend the tubing
                      downwards and get rid of that horizontal section without a 45 degree
                      connector.

                      Howerver that rag around a still to stop a leak, over a propane burner
                      still concerns me.

                      JB.

                      wrote:

                      > Actually, the area in front of the pot is clear. All the way to
                      the door. Just
                      > the backside is junky. Now on the design, I used the longer lyne
                      arm just for
                      > the purpose of getting the liquid and vapor away from the burner.Â
                      I guess I
                      > could come off closer to the riser with a 45 degree fitting and then
                      gently roll
                      > the arm out away from the burner. That might work better.Â
                      What you think??
                    • Royce Thigpen
                      Message 11 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                        I got that taken care of.  I know what is leaking, just need to make a gasket.  It is flexable tubing, so I will make the corrections and see what happens.  If I read correctly, this will also give me more flavor from a flavored wash.

                        As long as its air tight with no leaks, it can come down near the
                        burner. If you look at your horizontal lyne arm, theres a bit of a dip
                        in it. What I ment to say is that as the still is heating up, vapors
                        will condense along this horizontal section and it tends to act similar
                        to a doubler, giving a higher ABV at the start of a distillation.

                        From the looks of it, your using flexible tubing so you could probably

                        Message 12 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
                          A+ your on your way to understanding grasshopper.

                          JB.