Re: Product yeild

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 10, 2010

      JB,

      In my earlier posting, I intended to reference potassium bicarbonate in all instances.  Sorry for not proof reading before sending,

      Tom

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
        Hi Tom,

        Creation of additional acids in normal in fermentations. My JEM washes
        start off at around 5.4 pH but never have dropped below 4.0 after
        completion. While yeasts we use grow best between 4.0 to 6.0 pH and can
        withstand acidic environments down to 3.0, wine makers make a point of
        acidifying their musts to below 4.0 during the secondary fermentation to
        avoid infections since wines can sit for 6 months to a year or more
        before bottling.

        During my testing of the JEM wash, I used the same batch of EC-1118
        trub about 20 times without replacement, both for JEM and then took some
        to make some rum batches with molasses. Never once was there any signs
        of the yeast dying. Let me know your exact ingredients your using and
        what type of energy drink. First time I've heard of this.

        JB.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

        > JB,
        >
        > In my earlier posting, I intended to reference potassium bicarbonate
        in
        > all instances. Sorry for not proof reading before sending,
        >
        > Tom
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" tomhawk412@ wrote:
        > >
        > > JB,
        > >
        > > I have a question regarding your JEM wash. I have made a few of
        them.
        > When I finish batching, the pH is typically 5.0. The fermentation
        kicks
        > off rapidly and the pH begins to drop, as is typical with
        fermentation.
        > I add potassuim bicarbonate as necessary (usually on a daily basis) to
        > maintain a pH of 4.0 to 4.5. I usually end up with 15.5% potential
        > alcohol and a pH of 4.5. My reasoning is that without the addition of
        > the potassium bicarbonate, the pH can drop to such a point that the
        > yeast will die. Should I be adding the potassium bicarbonate or should
        > just let the pH drop?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for your help.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Tom
        > >
        > > --- SNIP

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
          JB,

          My recipe is as follows:

          12 pounds white sugar
          12 cups water
          1/2 cup lemon juice

          Mix all above ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes to invert sugar. Add to sanitized primary fermenter and add water to bring up to 5 gallons. Aerate 4 hours with aquarium pump and air stone, bubbling air through 94% ABV alcohol to sterilize. Add one (1) 12 ounce can of Red Bull energy drink and two (2) tablespoons of Miracle Gro 24-8-16. At 80 degrees F, add trub from previous batch. Original gravity 1.113, pH 5.0, potential alcohol 15.5%. The fermentation is active after 8 hours.

          I add potassium bicarbonate on a dialy basis when the pH drops to 4.0 or less. During the last two (2) fermentations I added a total of nine (9) teaspoons of potassium bicarbonate to each batch. Both of the batches ended up at about 4.5 pH and a specific gravity of 0.992.

          Please suggest improvements.

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 12, 2010
            Tom,

            Sounds like your doing evrything right. Might want to try a can of
            Rockstar instead of Red Bull. Do me a favor though, Take about a
            gallon out of the next JEM fermetation and let it fermement naturally
            without any adding any Sodium Bicabonate and tell me what the ending pH
            is. About the only way I can figure out why your think your dropping
            so low. Never has happened to my washes.

            JB.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

            > JB,
            >
            > My recipe is as follows:
            >
            > 12 pounds white sugar
            > 12 cups water
            > 1/2 cup lemon juice
            >
            > Mix all above ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes to invert sugar.
            Add to sanitized primary fermenter and add water to bring up to 5
            gallons. Aerate 4 hours with aquarium pump and air stone, bubbling air
            through 94% ABV alcohol to sterilize. Add one (1) 12 ounce can of Red
            Bull energy drink and two (2) tablespoons of Miracle Gro 24-8-16. At 80
            degrees F, add trub from previous batch. Original gravity 1.113, pH 5.0,
            potential alcohol 15.5%. The fermentation is active after 8 hours.

            > I add potassium bicarbonate on a dialy basis when the pH drops to 4.0
            or less. During the last two (2) fermentations I added a total of nine
            (9) teaspoons of potassium bicarbonate to each batch. Both of the
            batches ended up at about 4.5 pH and a specific gravity of 0.992.

            > Please suggest improvements.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for your help,
            >
            > Tom
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@
            wrote:

            > > Hi Tom,
            > >
            > > Creation of additional acids in normal in fermentations. My JEM
            washes start off at around 5.4 pH but never have dropped below 4.0 after
            completion. While yeasts we use grow best between 4.0 to 6.0 pH and can
            withstand acidic environments down to 3.0, wine makers make a point of
            acidifying their musts to below 4.0 during the secondary fermentation to
            avoid infections since wines can sit for 6 months to a year or more
            before bottling.

            > > During my testing of the JEM wash, I used the same batch of EC-1118
            trub about 20 times without replacement, both for JEM and then took some
            to make some rum batches with molasses. Never once was there any signs
            of the yeast dying. Let me know your exact ingredients your using and
            what type of energy drink. First time I've heard of this.

            > > JB.
            > >

            > > SNIP

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 12, 2010
              JB,

              I will do as you asked and will report on the results. If I use Rockstar, which one should I use and what volume should I use (that stuff comes in several sized cans)? Most of the RS stuff I have seen appears to be flavored stuff of some sort.

              How low can the pH drop during fermentation of your JEM wash without risking damage to the yeast. In my first batch I used two (2) packages of EC-1118. In the following batches I recycled the trub.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 12, 2010

                Hi Tom,

                I have heard yeasts can withstand pH levels as low as 2.0 from some of the knowegable ones around like Dr. MB Raines, but again, have never had a JEM wash go below 4.0.   The reason I suggest Rock star is that of the several brands of energy drinks tested, it worked the best and has some of the most amounts of amino acids, lipids, fats, vitamins and other nutrients.  The nutrients in the vanilla version I used are shown below.  You can also check out http://www.screamingenergy.com/energy_drinks.php?i=1 for 240 different energy drinks and their ingredients and review and check out the the orginial thread on this subject - see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/37645  One can of the roasted vanilla Rock Star works the nuts.

                JB.

                "As mentioned before, Red Bull works very well, but I have had excellent  sucess with "Rock Star Roasted Vanilla".  This contains:

                Active Ingredients:  (what to look for is in bold)
                Mg/% USRDA per serving(whichever are listed on the can) per serving (2 servings in this can) of the following: Fat 1.5g/2%, carbohydrates 7g/2%, protein 3g/6%, vitamin B3 20mg/100%, vitamin B5 10mg/100%, vitamin B6 2mg/100%, vitamin B12 6mcg/100%, calcium 60mg/6%, potassium 230mg/7%, phosphorous 83mg/8%, taurine 1g, ginkgo biloba leaf extract 150mg, caffeine 120mg, guarana 25mg, inositol 25mg, l-carnitine 25mg, panax ginseng extract 25mg, milk thistle extract 20mg.

                http://www.screamingenergy.com/energy_drinks.php?i=2  contains a listing of  240 Energy Drinks and their ingredients, so depending on where you live, you should have no problem finding several brands.  The average prices run around 2.oo US and less if you buy in 4, 6 or 12 packs.  Since you will be re-using the EC-1118 yeast, this is still far cheaper then any single use Turbo yeast packet."

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 12, 2010
                  Hint,

                  If you aerate the wash after the yeast has been pitched, instead of
                  before you will find some interesting results.

                  JB.

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Tom,
                  >
                  > I have heard yeasts can withstand pH levels as low as 2.0 from some of
                  > the knowegable ones around like Dr. MB Raines, but again, have never
                  had
                  > a JEM wash go below 4.0. The reason I suggest Rock star is that of the
                  > several brands of energy drinks tested, it worked the best and has
                  some
                  > of the most amounts of amino acids, lipids, fats, vitamins and other
                  > nutrients. The nutrients in the vanilla version I used are shown
                  below.
                  _____snip
                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 12, 2010
                    JB,

                    Thanks for your help. I'm going to give it a shot!

                    Cheers,

                    Tom

                    SNIP